Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i have a 2002 B5.5 non-monsoon. i'm looking to upgrade and i have about $250 available. my question is which is best to install first component speakers for the front or a 4 channel amp. (keep in mind that whichever i do not install this month will be installed next month). i will eventually add a second amp to power subs but that comes a little later... here are my choices:

1. Boston Acoustics SL60 components for the front

2. Infinity 7540A 111w x 4 channel amp

what are your opinions?

...by the way i have a Pioneer DEH-P8MP head unit (i love this thing :bow: )

·
Registered
133 Posts
Assuming that you're still running oem speakers, I would install the components first.

If you install the amp first, you'll be installing the components next week instead of next month (it's never a good idea to run oem speakers on on aftermarket amp!)

chris :lol:

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
You can easily add the amp first without blowing the speakers. I've been doing it for about a year and a half in my 99. Having said that, I would do the speakers first since it'll be easier to find an amp to match the speakers than speakers to match an amp. What WILL suck if you do the speakers first is that you'll have to redo the wiring from the amp to the speakers unless you go from the amp to the harness behind the radio.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Why not wait and do it all at the same time? Makes things easier, and saves alot of trouble of having to rewire when you add on.

Just my .02

·
Registered
342 Posts
I vote for doing the speakers first because if you haven't done them before... it's a bit of a pain. I did my fronts first that that took me a good 6 hrs. Did the rears today and it still took about 3.

Of course if you plan to run all new wiring to the speakers.. that you are probably better off doing it all at once. I used the factory wiring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.