Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm going to be checking out a very promising 2002 GLS Auto and I thought I'd ask ya'll to give me a couple pointers on what to look out for. I've been reading through the forums for awhile so I think that I have a reasonably good feel for the car and its problems. However, I'd appreciate any suggestions or tips that you may have found useful when looking at a prospective car. I humbly await your answers :bow:

·
Registered
666 Posts
Cruise control, and leaks-oil, coolant and Vacuum hose, and don't forget burnholes on the sides of the seats.

Don't forget our cars are supposed to have 2 remote key fobs standard, plus one valet, stealerships like to get you on this one- just open the manual in the glovebox to show them.

How many miles the car?

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
check for maintenance sched., if available, esp. to see if the coil packs had been replaced.

check to make sure all functions work. turn signals, mirrors, stuff like that. check to see if it has any error codes using a vag-com or other obd2 tool. see if there are any creaks in turns - that could indicate control arm damage.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Be wary of panels on the vehicle that don't fit *perfectly* VW is a stickler about the panels meeting up with certain tolerances, and this could be becuase of an accident, even as small as a fender bender.

Ask where all the maintenance was done, and if you DO purchase the vehicle, ask for a letter releasing those records to you as the purchaser. That will make your life easier if you ever want/need a printout from teh dealership, as they will not give them to you without this (I chased down the owner of our MkIII to get this letter after purchasing the car at auction)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well that sucks... Just talked to the lady again and when I asked for a VIN to run a title all of a sudden she remembers to mention that it has a salvage title.... :mad: All she had to say before was how good of shape the car was in, how perfect and well taken care of. At least she told me before I payed to run a title check.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Atrovent said:
Well that sucks... Just talked to the lady again and when I asked for a VIN to run a title all of a sudden she remembers to mention that it has a salvage title.... :mad: All she had to say before was how good of shape the car was in, how perfect and well taken care of. At least she told me before I payed to run a title check.
heh...it musta just slipped her mind :roll:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
D.Passat00
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing