Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got new 17x8 rims with 225/45/17 tires :lol:
I wanted to know what the presure should be for a 98' 1.8T???????
with no load and loaded.In my 15's was 28 unloaded front and back.

Thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
You still want to use the manufacturers recommendation, 28 psi.

28pci sounds low, last time I checked I belive it is over 30 on all 4 corners. I run 33-34 upfront and 31-32 in the rear

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
It varies by the specific model that you have. With <100mph and half load, I'm supposed to be filling to 28-30 (can't remember exact figure). Of course, I'll be squealing by the time I hit 32psi, so I run 36 normally. :)

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
28 psi in my tires would = premature shoulder death.

stealthx32 said:
Grab some glass chalk or white shoe polish. Make a line across the tread of your tires, and go for a test drive. Not too aggressive, but not too sedated either. Come back, and take a look at each of your tires. If the shoe polish/glass chalk wore off ONLY where your tread is, you're in good shape. If some scrubbed off the sidewall, then you need more pressure. If some of the tread has shoepolish left, then take some out. Repeat to your heart's content.

·
Registered
479 Posts
You still want to use the manufacturers recommendation, 28 psi.
That recommendation is for the stock tire size, which he said was 15" (and probably 65 series). I always thought that with the shorter sidewalls on the 45 series tires, you need higher pressure. I'd suggest at least 32, maybe try 35.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys.Keep it coming....In the end I will take the average. :lol:
PS.I have 29psi ...I had 31-32 but the car was bouncy

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
225/45/17 Dunlop SP9000
44psi and wear appears to be even. at 33 psi, tires looked damn near flat and felt very mushy. 51psi is max inflation on my tires.

¤Daniel

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Regardless of the tire size you want to use the vehicle manufacturers recommendation. Inflation pressure is listed as pounds per square inch, so even when the square inches change, you still want the same psi. You can vary the psi somewhat to fit your own driving style and comfort needs.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Regardless of the tire size you want to use the vehicle manufacturers recommendation. Inflation pressure is listed as pounds per square inch, so even when the square inches change, you still want the same psi. You can vary the psi somewhat to fit your own driving style and comfort needs.
Is this pressure for when the tires are cold or warm?

·
Registered
479 Posts
The manufactuer's recommended pressure for my car differs depending on the tire size. The pressures for the 225/45-17 tires is 3 or 4 psi higher than for the 215/55-16 tires, depending on half load vs. full load and under/over 100 mph. Why would the recommendation be different for the different tire size?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
They assume people with wider tires are looking for higher performance, which is what higher psi will provide. The air pressures are based on cold tire temperatures. You should check the tires in the morning before driving on them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts