Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Good article.

My dad just bought a GL 1.8T. We considered the TDI, but the dealers are dealing on the 1.8T and holding firm on the TDI. It was about a 2,500 dollar difference, so the 1.8T was a no brainer.

I wish they'd bring the V6 TDI to the states.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
That makes two of us Johnny. I'll be happy if they can keep the TDI in the lineup and get a manual transmission in them. I don;t need the speed anymore, I'd rather have the gas money and a 10 year+ car.

Hopefully it will stay in the lineup in the B6 chassis.

Cheers and thanks for reading,

Carl III

·
Registered
175 Posts
I believe it is the sound of the actual combustion. Earlier indirect injection engines had a combustion pre-chamber to attenuate the sound of the combustion. Direct-injection engines do not have these pre-chambers so that they technically should be noisier. However with more precise combustion control through computer-controlled EFI, and with good soundproofing, they don't intrude like older diesels.

Remember that each power stroke in a diesel generates more force than in a gas engine. A gas engine produces power by many small explosions, a diesel produces power by fewer but stronger explosions. However as diesels cannot rev as fast as gas engines (due to combustion characteristics), overall horsepower is less, but usually torque is signficantly higher at lower RPM (HP = Torque x RPM)

It stands to reason that a more powerful explosion, will cause more noise.

Mike
'05 Passat GLS TDI

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
PlaneCrazy said:
Only one minor quibble with the article, the N. American spec 2.0 TDI is an 8-valve engine, not a 16 valve unit like in Europe.

But otherwise, interesting write-up.

Mike
Thanks for catching me. I must have found a euro source for the info because all of the US Spec models I can find now clearly confirm 8 valves. Now I'm curious why the Euros get twice as many valves as we do?

Cheers,

Carl III

·
Registered
391 Posts
PlaneCrazy said:
I believe it is the sound of the actual combustion. Earlier indirect injection engines had a combustion pre-chamber to attenuate the sound of the combustion. Direct-injection engines do not have these pre-chambers so that they technically should be noisier. However with more precise combustion control through computer-controlled EFI, and with good soundproofing, they don't intrude like older diesels.

Remember that each power stroke in a diesel generates more force than in a gas engine. A gas engine produces power by many small explosions, a diesel produces power by fewer but stronger explosions. However as diesels cannot rev as fast as gas engines (due to combustion characteristics), overall horsepower is less, but usually torque is signficantly higher at lower RPM (HP = Torque x RPM)

It stands to reason that a more powerful explosion, will cause more noise.

Mike
'05 Passat GLS TDI
Thx...anwsered several of my questions. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Am I allowed to blame my editor???? Damn, you guys are like jackals on an antelope. Please substitute "fuel", "go-juice", "petrol", "petroleum distillate", or just plain "diesel" for my poorly chosen word "gas". I sit corected... again.

Cheers,

Carl III

PS - It is good to know that people are actually reading my article, even if I have to eat some crow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello I'm from europ (germany) and over here most firms drive diesel cars,because it is cheaper.The new ones are much faster and cheaper.The new passat drives 1200km(750miles)with one load of diesel.And it runs 210km/h(132miles/h).It's at 100 km/h in 9,8.And I'm glad that I'm living in germany,because here it's allowd to drive as fast as the car runs.The new passat is one of my faforites,because its cheap and fast.Well i think im going to drife araund now. bye I hope I could help a bit but i don't understand anything so im sorry if something is false

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Thanks guys. I have not experienced the Toureg V10, but I've also heard it is a monster.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys.
I live over in Scotland where I have a 2.5v TDi with all the toys, best toy of all is the chip that now gives me 235bhp and 420ft/lbs of torque at 1500rpm. I recently sold a suburu impreza turbo and in the real world the passat is just as fast, smoother and more economical, (45mpg on a good day)
The states should catch onto derv. soon its not about peak power, overtaking is a cinch and still makes me blink. Anyhew. If anyone wants the scoop on euro cars drop me bell

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.