Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 1.8T 4 motion with 140 k with the original struts. Plan on replacing them in the new future.
I want to keep the wagon stock height since I live in the mountains. I drive the car on some dirt roads, some a little rough, but not a jeep road !

I like the wagon too handle a better, that it does now. Feels like boat with the stock struts. I had a passat 4 motion sedan with H&R springs and Koni yellow struts (set to soft). That setup road a little rough, but great handling.
I'm leaning towards the Koni yellow, with the stock springs. From what I can find the BILSTEIN HD struts ride rough.
I was thinking of coilovers, but it seems they all for lowering the car.
Any suggestions welcome or other ideas.

Thanks,

Eric

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
If you want your car to handle better than stock/factory you're going to have to give up ride comfort to a point. The only way to add handling performance is to stiffen up the shock.

I had a 2004 GLX sedan that had Koni yellows on it with HR springs. It rode great in the straights but the cornering was obviously tighter than stock.
I'll have to admit it was what I thought a very nice ride.
Koni Yellows with a stock spring would probably be your best bet. That's just my opinion, so take that with a grain of salt and for whatever it's worth.
Me personally, I like a stiffer ride. I like to feel connected to the road. Cushy rides are for wine sipping snobs that set there drink on a flat surface instead of in a proper cup holder.

Coil-over offer adjustability, but that comes at a premium price. If you want to keep stock height, I think that would be waste of money.
Generally speaking though, a coil-over is going to be a bit harsher/stiffer ride than factor due the nature of the spring being used.

·
Registered
26,465 Posts
I've found plenty of people who prefer the Bilstein on the 4Mo setup as the Koni rear shocks tend to be a bit harsh. I know my car rides much better with weight in the back than empty and I have the rear Konis set full soft now.
For handling without lowering, a 1BE rear sway bar helps, but only slightly. If you can find 1BE springs, they would also help, but again, I found the rear springs too soft (but better than OEM). I ended up with coil-over sleeves to be able to run stiffer springs (C5 A6Q H+R Race springs) without as much drop. They are available for both Koni and Bilstein and work on all 4 shocks on a 4Mo. Of course, I wanted an incredible handling car, not just better than stock. I suspect the Bilstein HD and a 1BE rear bar would make you pretty happy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts