Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got chipped and i want to replace my stock plugs, and i was wondering if you guys could give me an idea of which plugs are an upgrade for the new fuel mapping. I was thinking of getting NGK Spark Plugs (#PFR7B) 1 Heat Range Colder than Stock OEM - set of 4 plugs which are $55 at ecs tuning, and are supposedly what come with the APR stage 3 kit. :roll:

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I need to change out my plugs and was wondering what the best one to use is...I'm looking at either the stock NGKs, or the NGKs 1 range colder.

What are the pros and cons of each one?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Stock NGK's.
I have WETT chip and was running Autolite 3923's :roll:
NGK's have really improved low rpm response.
I don't think messing with heat range is a good thing.
At least not for me.
Good luck.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have the neuspeed chip - and on their website, they recommend iridium tipped plugs to go along with their chip.

NGK has come out with an iridium tip plug - and I have had them for about a month now - and am very happy with them

Bill

·
Registered
364 Posts
I've used 3 different types of NGK plugs, since the Oettinger chip was fitted:

BKUR6ET - OE plug (replaced the OE Bosch ones that were rather black)
PFR6Q - platinum single electrode plug, standard heat range
BKUR7ET - copper plug one heat range cooler

I really liked the PFR6Q plugs and I got over 22,000 miles out of a set when I decided to replace them with the BKUR7ET plugs. FWIW, my wife's Golf GTi came from the factory with NGK BKUR6ET plugs.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Another enthusiastic vote for the inexpensive ($1.69 ea.) Denso's available at Autozone. They work fantastic in my '98 Passat 1.8T manual with GIAC. I'm still waiting to see any convincing, objective data that the expensive plugs outperform my beloved Denso's.
Kevin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.