Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(maybe Resignator is spelt wrong)
- I tried a search, and couldn't come up with any threads on this topic.
I got my rear sway bar installed at my buddies shop, and while my car was on the hoist, i was able to check out the under body of my car. I never noticed how big our resignator pipe was... i have been thinking of maybe removing it completely, but i don't want for there to be a unpleasant sound.

Has anyone removed the resignator pipe? Does it sound bad, or is it a nice deep tone? I don't have the money to buy a full exhaust system, so do you suggest I install a magna flow or remus muffler instead of removing the resignator?

thanks,
-merk20vt-

p.s. if anyone has any sound clips of their car, it would be nice if you could post them. :lol:

·
0 Posts
You will get what you always get when you remove restrictions, it will be loud but it wont be pretty!

·
Registered
555 Posts
My old Jetta sounded pretty good. we cut off the resonator and added a magnaflow, we changed the piping to 2 1/4" It was pretty loud though...
It didnt sound like an angry hornets nest like Hondas, but it popped and farted a lot ......You should just wait to buy a real exhause kit, cut off evreything and do it right the first time :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I plan to do my own exhaust system, but mine is a v6. I'm going to remove the resonator, and run dual exhaust the rest of the way back with pre-bent pipes, and a high flow resonator from the tuning depot
http://www.tuningdepot.com/departmentlist.asp?category=49
hoping to keep noise down. Also, two high flow cat's will be replacing the stock cat's. Good luck, and I hope you find what you need. Do a search like gjd6640 said, cause I believe it's not that loud to remove just your resonator on the 1.8T engines. I bet if you jumped on the group buy to get the random technology high flow cat, plus a removed resonator, you'd have a great system.

·
Registered
615 Posts
hateshondas said:
i had it removed when i had my TT downpipe installed, sounds deeper and u can actually hear the car! nice gains
But it's not raspy or anything? That'd be the thing I'd be most worried about... :nervous:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts