Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I posted the other day saying I was getting a new engine because of the sludge problem. Come to find out, after VW has had my car for 3 days and prepared to change the engine, that my car is not covered for the oil sludge problem. The reason for this is because I bought the car used and have not had it for a year. Being that VW knows that there is an issue with this type of engine and that they have started an extended warrenty could I do some kind of legal actions. Also they said that I will need to pay them to put my car back together.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Yes, I believe this to be crap. I bought my car used in April, I don't know why they would have sent me a letter if I wasn't covered. You need to have some serious conversations with VW service reps. That really sucks man, good luck.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Crap thats Bullshit! There is a sludge problem and they know it and does not matter if it's new or used! The engine would have to be used to have a sludge problem :mad:
I am getting more and more turned off to own a car with VW's name on it :evil:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Something smells fishy :suspicio:

What does owning a used B5 for a year change with respect to the sludge warranty? First, I would read a copy of the sludge letter, carefully. Then, I would call VWoA directly. They have a 1-800-#.

When you file a claim, they should respond back to you, vice the dealership (after you call a few times to check the status). You can guess how I know...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Volkswagen of America Inc. has extended its warranty coverage of certain models for problems caused by oil sludge, which can cause engine damage.

In the past few days, the company has sent letters to about 400,000 Volkswagen Passat and Audi owners informing them of the extended warranty, Volkswagen spokesman Steve Keyes said Tuesday. The company took the measure after receiving reports of engine problems caused by sludge, a buildup of old or dirty engine oil that thickens and hinders engine lubrication.

The problem generally is caused by failure to change the oil on time or by the use of low-quality oil, Keyes said. It affects 1998 to 2004 Passats and 1997 to 2004 Audi A4s that have a 1.8-liter turbo four-cylinder engine.

Volkswagen is extending its usual five-year, 50,000-mile warranty to eight years with no mileage limit on repairs related to sludge, Keyes said. The additional warranty is fully transferrable.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
It depends on whether or not it was serviced with paperwork either before you owned it, or since you owned it. That sucks that you cant control what previous people did, but maybe if you bought the car vw certified you can do something.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The whole thing about no prof of the other owner changing oil does not really bother me. What bothers me is about 3 weeks ago when the oil light came on I took it to the dealer. Before I asked anything I told them how long I have the car for. They said no problem it is covered and they ordered all oil parts to change them. When the parts came in I dropped the car off and they started to work on it. I guess about 4 hrs after dropping the car off they called and said that the engine is trashed and they would be putting a new one in for free if I showed them that I changed my oil when I am suppose too. I did and also my paperwork shows that I change my oil every 3000 miles. Today they called and said that the car is not covered now, 3 days after dropping it off. To top that they want me to pay them to put my car back together. That is the problem that is pissing me off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.