Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

i have a VW Passat 1.9 TDI Estate B5 and have just changed the stock 195x65x15 steel wheels for a nice set of 18" RS4 alloys with 225x40x18 Stunner Scudo Tyres.

What would you guys/gals recommend I set the PSI for the tyres at?

Thanks
Cheers
Shaiboy_UK

·
Registered
504 Posts
Generally, tire pressure should be increased as you plus-size your setup by 2-4 lbs of air per inch over the OEM size. If you run pressure too low in your 18's you will be more susceptable to rim damage.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Tire Pressure

Even though you have a changed to an 18 inch wheel you have kept the overall diameter of the tire approximately the same which means the air chamber still holds the same amount of air. So you should continue to follow what is on your door of your vehicle. With that said I never recommend you run under that pressure, but if you want to increase the pressure you can. Adding more pressure to the tire typically adds handling performance, and will offer slightly more protection to the rim at the cost of a firmer ride. The VW recommended pressure has been designed to offer the best combination of Ride qualtiy, Handling ect.:)

Rudy
1-800-428-8355 Ext. 664
[email protected]

·
Registered
706 Posts
Since the B5 weighs less in the rear, you'll get more neutral handling with lower tire pressures in the back, which help it achieve a greater slip angle.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I recommend 33F/31R. If you are running full loads or high speed all the time, I'd up them a couple PSI.

You need to experiment a little bit to find the best compromise between traction, ride comfort, and tire life.

Most run their tires somewhere in the 30's. Some like to run in the 40's for better handling, and you'll see some will even run high 20's for ride comfort.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,293 Posts
I must say, the handling, for me anyway, goes to crap once I get into the 40's. I felt like I made the wrong decision getting plus sized 15x6.5-17x8. Car was all over the place and it felt like it handled worse than my stock 15's. Dropped the pressures down to 3psi above stock and handles like a dream. Riding on rails comes to mind....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts