Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For 16 years I owner a 2003 Passat 1.8T wagon with standard transmission. Dispite replacing brake components, cleaning out moon roof drains and replacing half axles, I enjoyed driving and caring for the car very much. And all that thanks to the VW Forums for helping me during those times. I miss the standard transmission but not an option these days.

I now have a 2017 Passat 1.8T sedan with 55,000 miles. It appears to be what is designated as the "B7" engine. What other designations apply to this car ? Also, I understand it has a timing chain instead of the old rubber belt. Is there a recommended replacement interval for that ?

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,160 Posts
You’ll need to find out what engine generation it is. EA888 I believe. Newest gen with the most upgrades in terms of PCV and maintenance fixes. What trans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You’ll need to find out what engine generation it is. EA888 I believe. Newest gen with the most upgrades in terms of PCV and maintenance fixes. What trans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Sorry for the delayed response. It has the auto tranny of course . I loved standard in my older Passat's. This has a "S" (sport) selection on the shifting lever which exhibits quite an acceleration. And if one moves the selector lever to the right one can select whatever gear one whats. This tranny is a big improvement over a 2003 1.8T automatic I had - a nice tranny but not responsive enough for inner-city arterial driving. Someone said the engine code should be on the timing cover - will check.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts