Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having intermittent starting problems on my 2001 1.8T. Sometimes it will turn over - sometimes not. When it does start, it starts strong and runs great. But it has gotten to the point over the last few days where you may have to attempt 15 or 20 starts to get it to turnover. Most of the time the dash lights up correctly and it just clicks.

All CCM functions are fine. I've also ruled out the switch on the TIP shiftgate. Finally took it to an INDY who said the starter itself is bad. This is particularly disappointing since I just had it replaced last December, about 5K miles ago, in another state. I'm sure that was a remanufactured starter.

This INDY suggests a new Bosch starter at a driveout price of around $500 (parts, labor, taxes, shop fees, etc.). He said the labor time was about 2 hours on the 1.8T - which I'm assuming is a book rate. The starter itself is about $300.

My question to the forum: Does this sound like a fair price? I am not interested in a DIY for this repair. When the starter was replaced last time the cost was around $400.

This is the first time I have used this INDY (I just moved into the area) and am hoping to establish a long term relationship with this shop.

All opinions welcome.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've looked at 1stvwparts and worldimpex. It looks like the price for a genuine part.
However, worldimpex has Bosch part for about $175. They don't specify it as a remanufactured, but you may want to give them a call to verify this.

My friend had the same problem with his Audi. He bought a remanufactured starter and had to replace it shortly afterwards. He went with brand new starter this time.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Sounds like a bad starter solenoid.

If your starter is working intermittently but strong when it does, I recommend finding an auto-electric shop that rebuilds starters and have them replace the starter solenoid for you.

Should be less than $100 to pull the starter, R&R the solenoid, then reinstall the starter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts