Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys! So I noticed on my driver door that the courtesy light was out so I bought a new one to replace it.
When installing the new one, it was EXTREMELY dim and making an electrical humming noise.
It's like it not really getting the 12v it needs??? I tried the new light on all other doors and it worked perfectly fine.

What is giving the power to that courtesy light?
I think some module or something is possibly bad and not giving proper voltage to it.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
I would start by checking for corrosion and loose connections. Also make sure you have a bulb with the correct voltage requirement and no higher wattage rating than the original, so that it is not trying to suck too much current. Try swapping another door's bulb into your driver's door. From what you told me, I anticipate that it will also have problems, which points to my first suggestions regarding corrosion and bad solder joints or connections, all very common VW problems.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I assume you are talking about the lights under the actual door, unfortunately they are in the "flood zone" and agree with J_E .....corrosion most likely

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Check the wiring for breaks or cracks that runs out the door into the door jamb (at the hinges) This is a known spot for them to break.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
The puddle light, or "entry light," as Bentley calls it, has a somewhat unique power arrangement.

The negative side is connected to ground (brown) in the door via the "door open" switch in the door latch assembly. The same switch tells the CCM, cluster, etc., that the driver door is open.

The positive side is powered from the same source that powers the front & rear reading lights, map lights, and makeup mirror lights. It's +12V switched by the CCM (battery saver function). This wire passes through the hinge for each door and isn't used for anything else in the door. It's red/black; the driver door connector (beside the driver's left foot, behind plastic panel) is 10-position black.

If your "door open" indication works correctly (dome lights come on, fuel pump primes, etc.), then I'd start with that red/black wire.

Ref: Bentley schematic 82/2 and 82/13...15

1 - 6 of 6 Posts