Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

What position should the throttle body be in?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  O22Ripper 
#1 ·
Pulled off my throttle body the other night to clean it. Found lots of yummy gunk in there plus a tiny puddle of oil right inside the intake manifold flange.

Getting the sludge off the throttle body took some time and I noticed the valve wasn't closed all the way. It was maybe 5 degrees open; enough that the liquid cleaner I was using could pass through the edges.

Is this normal? Is a throttle body adaptation in order?

#5 ·
1. Open drivers door, and get in car
2. Put key in ignition and turn until all your dash lights come on and you start chiming.
3. The exact about of time you hold in this position is debateable, but I say 3-5 minutes, that might be overkill, but oh well!
4. Then either take the key out, or start her up and drive away, your choice!

FYI: If you listen closely somtimes you can hear it adapt like a high pitched whine *eeeeeeeee* Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

#6 ·
Spanky McGee said:
2. Put key in ignition and turn until all your dash lights come on and you start chiming.
3. The exact about of time you hold in this position is debateable, but I say 3-5 minutes, that might be overkill, but oh well!

FYI: If you listen closely somtimes you can hear it adapt like a high pitched whine *eeeeeeeee* Someone correct me if I'm wrong!
That is not a throttle body adaptation. You need a VAGCOM to do an adaptation. That is the ONLY way to do it. The procedure is outlined in the Bentley, and is recommended when you remove or replace the TB, although it's shown to help in many other circumstances, so you definitely want to do it after removing and cleaning.

When doing the adaption, you do hear a whine, but there's also clicking as it moves to it's limits.

I think the whine you are refering to is just the fuel pump. You can hear that whenever you turn on the ignition.

#7 ·
pass-variant said:
Spanky McGee said:

That is not a throttle body adaptation. You need a VAGCOM to do an adaptation. That is the ONLY way to do it. The procedure is outlined in the Bentley, and is recommended when you remove or replace the TB, although it's shown to help in many other circumstances, so you definitely want to do it after removing and cleaning.

When doing the adaption, you do hear a whine, but there's also clicking as it moves to it's limits.

I think the whine you are refering to is just the fuel pump. You can hear that whenever you turn on the ignition.
I agree, except to say that TBs do indeed make noise...which coincidentally does also sound like a fuel pump.

#8 ·
Spanky McGee said:

I think the *eeeeeee* is your interior lights dimming out (specifically the ones overhead). Haha. I second the VAG to adapt the TB. Good write up though Spanky.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.