Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I have been getting a p0171 code and narrowed it down to a crack in the elbow on the crankcase and am planning oncleaning / replacing most of the PCV system. I am struggling to figure out what all parts I need since it looks like it varies by model year.

here is what I have compiled so far

Puck - #06A129101D
Pressure Control Valve (PCV) - (19mm)

3 Way Valve Housing #06A103247
Three-Way Valve Housing

Where I am confused

Breather Hose our of Engine - 06A103213F
Breather Hose Connector

Also which PCV valve do I need
there are some listed like this - Bleeder Valve
And other listed like this - Pressure Control Valve (PCV) - Priced Each

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-Ben

·
Registered
279 Posts
All the parts you linked are correct. The second PCV valve you linked, with the "T" configuration is correct for the '04 engine. If the elbow is cracked, it is a sign that the whole PCV system is breaking down from age and heat. You may well have hit just the tip of the iceberg. My suggestion would be to explore the entire system, poking, prodding and pulling all the hoses and connections. For instance, the 3-way housing you mention is made of thicker rubber and tends to outlast many other parts and the "puck" valve is usually functional until either the housing cracks or it gets filled up with gunk. Also, you may find that one or more of the small hoses and/or check valves they go to, are split or cracking apart.
There are 4 or 5 of these check valves in the system: part # 058905291K and 1 of these: 07C133529A

Though it takes more time initially, you will find that removing the intake manifold from the cylinder head makes accessing most of the system much easier. This will entail removing the coolant hardpipe that sits over the manifold, but as the old saying goes: in for a penny, in for a pound! Working around the manifold is a real pain and you'll be trying to do much of the work just by feel. It is up to you, would you rather expend preparation time or your sanity? If you do remove the coolant pipe, you should have a new o-ring ready for the install or you will likely end up with a leak there.

The factory-crimped hose clamps are a total pain to remove. I would suggest a pair of small cable cutters like these:
Google Image Result for https://www.danking.com.tw/data/products/p0041/1403259757.jpg wherever you are able to maneuver them to cut across the width of the top of the crimped part of the clamp and cut it, it will save you 5 minutes or more of wrestling. Have a supply of small worm-drive replacement clamps, or tightly-fitting spring clamps are even easier.

The PCV system is one the first "rites-of-passage" of maintaining a B5 Passat. The others being timing belt replacement and CV axles. Once you have these under your belt, you are ready for level two 😂

·
Registered
26,826 Posts
The PCV changed over the years, but I think the 04-5 are the same. There was a big change in the 03 and it looks like you have at least an 03 as they got the better vacuum lines.

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,409 Posts
Last year I bought a complete PCV kit which had good quality for $18 on Amazon. It had all the components.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies everyone. I am planning on dissembling most of the system to clean existing braided hoses and pipes and replacing the check valves here. Hopefully it doesnt get to much worse in the next week while im waiting for parts to arrive

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,409 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. I am planning on dissembling most of the system to clean existing braided hoses and pipes and replacing the check valves here. Hopefully it doesnt get to much worse in the next week while im waiting for parts to arrive

Just make sure you have a Dremel small cut-off wheel at your disposal. It is such a tight space that you may end up cutting some of the metal clips. When I tried to remove them it was so hard and I didn't have my cut-off wheel with me. It took me lots of bruises and pain to remove them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have some wire cutters that have worked well for me before so hopefully they do the job again. Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
The last PCV system I repaired/replaced I removed the alternator instead of the intake manifold. It gave me enough room to replace that plastic pipe & 3-way tee with valve on a 2000 Passat with the ATW engine. It also seemed easier and faster too! YMMV

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright So I replaced the Elbow, PCV valve, and cleaned out the tubes good 2 days. Car is running good now. Only snag I ran into is that the O-ring on the elbow did not allow it to sit far enough down to put the metal locking clip in place. So instead of Used RTV Sealant (Red) and let it sit for 24 hours so it could cure before driving it. Lets hope that holds up better or just as good as the o-ring. Anyone else run into this? I even sanded down the inside where the elbow goes to make sure it was nice and clean.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Not trying to be a dick, but that's a terrible idea. That RTV will blow out before too long, then you'll have crap fall in the crankcase when you try to remove it.

You need to find out the reason why the tube wouldn't seat. Did you buy a oem elbow, or aftermarket? Was there still remnant of the previous tube stuck in the inside? Did you really push hard on the elbow? I've replaced mine twice, with OEM parts each time. I've never had a problem getting the tube to seat. It does take some force, though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I figured it was not the best idea but had to do it since I had to get the car running for today. I did buy aftermarket from uro and couldnt find a difference when setting them side by side. It was cold out ~25F so maybe it didnt compress as much when it was cold. I did press very hard but it is almost impossible to apply pressure and at the same time insert the metal locking ring.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have a thread about that same problem. I had to remove the intake manifold and twist the breather back and forth and only managed to get it in backwards with the clip then I rotated it forwards. You might want to try something rubber safe to lube it like a drop of dish soap in water. Unfortunately imageshack ate all my pictures from that thread but here's the gist of it step 1->2->3:

Breather_Tube_Step_1.jpg Breather_Tube_Step_2.jpg Breather_Tube_Step_3.jpg

·
Registered
26,826 Posts
I've had issues with aftermarket elbows not fitting properly. I used a file to shave them down a bit. Dish soap or even 100% coolant works as a lube.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks I am going to try this again here this weekend and I think ill have better luck. Thanks yall!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just finished replacing my PCV system with a reinforced silicone breather hose kit from 034motorsports ( Reinforced Silicone Breather Hose Kit ) about an hour ago. I have an 04 AWM as well. Definitely made for a long weekend. It's so cramped under the intake manifold I ended up cutting the PCV into pieces with a fine tool to make more room. It was a pain to get the elbow set into it's spot but once it was set properly the metal clip slipped right in place. Having an extra hand on deck made the job much easier. Good luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts