Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i changed my front struts a lil while ago and my left side still kinda rode bad so I decided to take it all apart and see if I messed up. As im taking it apart I see this:
20191018_132135.jpg

What exactly is this? Lower control arm?

·
Registered
160 Posts

I believe your drivers side front, lower, rear control arm's connection to the frame.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I believe your drivers side front, lower, rear control arm's connection to the frame.
Thank you! I appreciate the help. I don't want to buy the wrong thing 😥

·
Registered
26,206 Posts
Just make sure you buy the correct arm for your model year. They usually list a pre-vin or post vin type, so check the vin to confirm. I am only guessing that it was 2003 that had the change.

·
Registered
26,206 Posts
must live in the desert, sweet rust free........"envious" in Ohio
Profile said Fla, but mine looks much the same and it's not quite desert here. We get nearly the same amount of rain as Ohio, but it comes in bunches and we have not had snow for 3 years. We used to get snow/ice at least once in winter.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Profile said Fla, but mine looks much the same and it's not quite desert here. We get nearly the same amount of rain as Ohio, but it comes in bunches and we have not had snow for 3 years. We used to get snow/ice at least once in winter.
yeah nothing looks like that on my 02 that lives in VT. granted it spent most of its life in AZ....still 3 years in VT has taken its toll. granted the last winter it just sat, and then i adopted it in late winter.

It took me 3 hours to get one wheel speed sensor out....the video online took the guy 30 seconds.

The pin in the upper control arms? also 2+ hours, torches, screwdrivers, hammers, door hinge pin and 4lbs mini sledge post torch did the trick. the door hinge pin however, is never going to be used for a door hinge again.

my titan that has spend its entire 15 years in VT....nothing happens easily with it.

·
Registered
26,206 Posts
I am starting to have the same issues with my youngest son's car after 5 years in PA and now Ohio.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so it's the Front lower rear control arm ball joint (simple enough lol) pretty easy fix... but now I can't get the ball joint out! lol. Going to buy a ball joint seperator when the auto parts place opens up o_O

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Make sure you tighten the suspension back up at 'Ride Height' or the geometry of the suspension will be off and the new bushings will wear out quicker.

·
Registered
26,206 Posts
To get the ball joint out, loosen the nut, then thread if back on 1-2 turns. Using a 2lb hammer, hit the metal of the hub carrier where the ball joint attaches. After several whacks, it should pop loose.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To get the ball joint out, loosen the nut, then thread if back on 1-2 turns. Using a 2lb hammer, hit the metal of the hub carrier where the ball joint attaches. After several whacks, it should pop loose.
I made the mistake of taking the other end if first and that made everything else worse. I just had to pound out the ball joint with everything I had

I

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: ok so after changing the the balljoint/control arm car still started to shake at around 50/60 mph so I took suspension apart again and I think I see another problem 😥

I think theres supposed to be a washer in there... theres a lot of metallic flakes in there

·
Administrator
23,357 Posts
Just make sure you buy the correct arm for your model year. They usually list a pre-vin or post vin type, so check the vin to confirm. I am only guessing that it was 2003 that had the change.
It’s the front forward lower that changed in the 2003 model year. Smaller taper on the ball joint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Update: ok so after changing the the balljoint/control arm car still started to shake at around 50/60 mph so I took suspension apart again and I think I see another problem 😥 View attachment 97621

I think theres supposed to be a washer in there... theres a lot of metallic flakes in there
I can not remember if a washer is supposed to be under the nut or not but if that is the new one then unfortunatly it is ruined!

·
Administrator
23,357 Posts
I can not remember if a washer is supposed to be under the nut or not but if that is the new one then unfortunately it is ruined!
Good eye! I was not sure what I was looking at. I now see that it's the shock top

There is no washer but it is a shouldered nut. There should be an ~2mm thick "washer" on the shock shaft that centers the spring cup. See around 5:10 in this video

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yep! I just bought a new strut mount top and it came with a washer. the old one is definitely ruined lol. The old strut would dance around in that wider hole and cause it to shake like crazy. i'll post old and new pics in a few

1 - 20 of 22 Posts