Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Passat GLX 4Motion V6
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had driven my B5.5 V6 Passat earlier today on a few errands and parked it at home.
Went out with the family in our other ride and came back to what appears to be water gathering under the driver's side.
Something to do with recently flushing a ton of water through the radiator and heater core maybe?
I noticed the coolant reservoir was a little low, too.
Hood Automotive tire Grey Automotive exterior Bumper

Tire Car Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
28,620 Posts
I would check that the radiator drain is fully sealed. It might be leaking and running down the belly pan, then draining near the tire. I've had some leak after draining as some particulate gets stuck in the drain at closing. Usually, I open and close it again and it's good.
Did someone put a hole in the bottom of the car with a jack? It looks like a hole in the 1st picture.

Reactions: Kilroy2032

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would check that the radiator drain is fully sealed. It might be leaking and running down the belly pan, then draining near the tire. I've had some leak after draining as some particulate gets stuck in the drain at closing. Usually, I open and close it again and it's good.
Did someone put a hole in the bottom of the car with a jack? It looks like a hole in the 1st picture.
Thanks. I'll take a closer look at the radiator drain in the morning. That the one on the bottom right of the radiator or somewhere else? Water seems to be dripping right from this spot.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Bumper Motor vehicle

Not sure how long that hole has been there but I've always tried to be careful with the jack.
Anything to be concerned about?

·
Registered
28,620 Posts
If the system is not full due to a leak, you can hear coolant in the heater core slosh around. The larger hole on the right of the picture is what I was wondering about. It's big enough to allow water to enter the bottom of the car.

Reactions: Kilroy2032

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The larger hole on the right of the picture is what I was wondering about. It's big enough to allow water to enter the bottom of the car.
Ah, not sure about that one but judging by the thick layers of grease and sludge, it's been there for some time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts