Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys,
I'm looking for some ideas to increase the HP. Especially the top end. Low end seems fine but when going 60's-70'smph and I hit the pedal to the floor it seems like I get nothing nada no power.. :( I had the car check for boost leaks and codes and it came back clean as a whistle. Are all 1.8t Passats weak on the top end? Anyway, whats the next step to getting a better top end and more HP? Will investing in a KO4 help? Is there any less expensive solutions? Here is the current mod list thus far:
(02 1.8t 5speed manual AWM)
APR 93 octane/stock programs ($400)
Forge DV (yellow spring)($120)
High Temp Silicone vac lines($20)
Neuspeed cat back exhaust($500)
17" TSW's toyo proxes ($1300)
Eibach Pro Kit ($200)
Momo shift knob ($70)
Stubby antenna($15)

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,285 Posts
try the green spring.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Uh WTF:crazy: ? Anyone with a useful response?
... use the search, dawg. What kind of HP do you desire? Theres a lot of things you can do to "up the HP" the real question is how much $$ are you willing to spend? Sorry if you thought my response was useless... Vague questions usually recieve vague answers.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Ok guys,
I'm looking for some ideas to increase the HP. Especially the top end. Low end seems fine but when going 60's-70'smph and I hit the pedal to the floor it seems like I get nothing nada no power.. :( I had the car check for boost leaks and codes and it came back clean as a whistle. Are all 1.8t Passats weak on the top end? Anyway, whats the next step to getting a better top end and more HP? Will investing in a KO4 help? Is there any less expensive solutions? Here is the current mod list thus far:
(02 1.8t 5speed manual AWM)
APR 93 octane/stock programs ($400)
Forge DV (yellow spring)($120)
High Temp Silicone vac lines($20)
Neuspeed cat back exhaust($500)
17" TSW's toyo proxes ($1300)
Eibach Pro Kit ($200)
Momo shift knob ($70)
Stubby antenna($15)

Depends what you want to invest. Ko4 is more then likely the cheapest option. BT=big turbo=$$$. You also should have post in the GD.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
search through the info forum. there are a ton of little mods that can help without an upgraded turbo.

Relocated DV
ARP turbo inlet hose
FMIC
test pipe
gasket match intake manifold
Gasket match exhaust manifold

the list goes on...

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Uh WTF:crazy: ? Anyone with a useful response?
^^Actually, he's trying to help.

Do you have a vag-com? 3rd-gear-pull logs of blocks 115, 002, and 020 would be nice to see. Fuel trims (block 032), too. How does your boost pressure look?

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
To answer the weak top end part, yes, becaue the turbo becomes a hot air pump more and runs out of breath once you get up there.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
When you guys say "top end" are you referring to the upper end of the rev range, or to speeds over 70 mph?

"Flooring it" after cruising at 70 should get you well over 120 before any sign of heatsoak sets in... the intercooler is within a few degrees of ambient at the start of the acceleration & there is plenty of air flowing through the grill. The 1.8T is designed to do 70 to 120 all day, not to do 0 to 60 quickly.

The boost threshold of the stock K03 is around 1800 to 2200 rpm, depending on the chip programming. What RPM are you at when you "floor it" at 60 mph?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well.. ok let me clarify it a bit.. While at the 65-70mph I can't seem to get any sort of acceleration. Seems to take forever to get to 80-90-100. RPM's around 3000-4000 in 4th, 5th is even worse. And sorry about the "BT" had no clue that ment "Big Turbo". Maybe I thought a k04 was a big turbo. Anyway.. I'm just not convienced the car is running 100%. No I do not own a Vag-Com, but I had it checked for codes and boost leak today like I said. Is there a reason to go back to the green spring in my forge DV? Lots of people swore the yellow was better for a chipped car. Maybe the problem lies within my driving? Relatively new to a Manual transmission. Any suggestions there?
So is investing in a K04 going to make a big difference? I have no problem buying one if its gonna help.
Really the whole point of the post was to get the next logical mod to increase power in my car. What would you get next?

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Well.. ok let me clarify it a bit.. While at the 65-70mph I can't seem to get any sort of acceleration. Seems to take forever to get to 80-90-100. RPM's around 3000-4000 in 4th, 5th is even worse. And sorry about the "BT" had no clue that ment "Big Turbo". Maybe I thought a k04 was a big turbo. Anyway.. I'm just not convienced the car is running 100%. No I do not own a Vag-Com, but I had it checked for codes and boost leak today like I said. Is there a reason to go back to the green spring in my forge DV? Lots of people swore the yellow was better for a chipped car. Maybe the problem lies within my driving? Relatively new to a Manual transmission. Any suggestions there?
So is investing in a K04 going to make a big difference? I have no problem buying one if its gonna help.
Really the whole point of the post was to get the next logical mod to increase power in my car. What would you get next?

Changing the spring wont do anything really. Anyways, you should be using the yellow spring with your mod list. You have pretty much the same mods that I have and I have an AWM 5speed. Ive decided my next 2 performance mods will be relocated DV and k04, without software. You will get some gain out of it without any different software, then when you get the money for the FMIC mainly, you can spend the money on the software.

Also, a boost gauge would be a good investment. That way you can tell when you have leaks, and it is easier to diagnose the location

thats my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,347 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
as far as suggestions with a manual tranny....try downshifting then punch it. The tip is the closest thing ive ever had to a manual and ill be damned if it didnt take me six months to figure out that if i downshift to lets say third and then hit the gas, it tends to pull alot harder than keeping it in 4th or 5th. Really helps out when merging onto the highway.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts