Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question is straight forward enough. Opinions only.

As a general rule (there may always be a couple exceptions), I can't stand:
* most rap...I particularly can't stand it when some yo-yo has it blasting from his car.
* oldies (50s, 60s)...there might not be any exceptions for me here
* most hip-hop
* most country...particularly the old twangy stuff
* folk

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Techno & electronica...
Other than that, I'm actually very open-minded when it comes to music. There's at least a few songs in every genre I can think of that I actually enjoy. And as a matter of fact, I actually really do dig some of the mellow jazzy electronica. So I can't say I particularly "hate" any genre. Its all good. And I'll never let my dislike of a particular song sour my pallate (sp?) for the entire genre. I really like to open my mind - especially when it comes to music, otehr cultures, and food. I don't fancy myself as a "hater".

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Rave,drum&bass and rest of extasy shit. "howling" soul (no soul there at all). BS-ers pretending poor&tough guys and driving +100K cars

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Can't stand:

Commerical radio rock music (stuff like foo fighters, incubus, etc)
'90 Grunge rock,
Punk,
SKA,
modern R&B (more boring than offensive though),
Mariachi,
Banda,
FOB music (esp Canto-pop and Korean techno-pop, the worst!)
and disco (esp the Bee-Gee's, makes my blood boil in rage!).

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
I'm open to music of all sorts. I am more particular and willing to exclude specific 'artists' than a genre entirely. It's all about expression to me. I can't stand bad/trite/banal/cliched lyrics. That eliminates most pop music, where those adjectives seem prerequisite in description. Generally speaking I can't stand pop. Pop country, pop rock, hip pop... ugh.

This week I picked up:
1) A pre-release of Clutch's new album 'Blast Tyrant' (aweosme!)
2) Dizzee Rascal, 'Boy in da Corner' (it's a more aggressive hip hop but musically machinistic in the way of Tricky. Dark, deviant, intelligent. No rap about chrome, ice and shooting people here)
3) I bought a CD of Mahler, although I can't recall right now which symphonies.
4) replaced a stolen classic, Polly Jean Harvey, 'Dry'. I think I may be on my 3rd or fourth of these. One of those albums that turns up missing every year or so.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
i find most modern music (that which is played on radio stations) to be utterly repulsive.

Most of that includes:
- Pop (Britney and friends)
- Hippity-Hop (um... please excuse my ignorance, i can't even think of an artist)
- all rap of any kind (snoop dogg, although i found him to be very amusing in Starsky and Hutch)
- Smooooooth Jazz (Kenny G and those like him.... they need to go away)
- ANY frikkin' beach music (Beach Boys are king of this genre) [side note: most 'surfer' music is ok -- big difference]
- Country Pop (all the new country stuff) [some old country is ok, i grew up listening to Hank Sr... thanks dad. and I enjoy listening to bluegrass and many of its derivitives]
- easy listening (barry manilow, michael bolton [the no-talent-ass-clown])
- techno/club/modern disco [email protected] (you know - "BOOM-tss-BOOM-tss-BOOM-tss..." that music they play in "hip" mall clothing stores)
- Oldies... (why is it that EVERY oldies station uses the same "All oldies, all the time" and "Good Times, Great Oldies" tag lines? are these so over used and genericized they are in the public domain now?)

There are more, but i think i've covered the basics. You might be wondering what is left... after a list that long, what does this musical grinch actually listen to??!!! Well, okay i'll tell you:
- Tool is a recent favorite, and of course A Perfect Circle.
- The Allman Brothers Band may very well be my all time favorite
- Bela Fleck when he's doing traditional bluegrass... don't much care for the electrified fusion sounds of the Flecktones
- Edgar Meyer is a wonderfully talented double bass player who does classical as well as jazz and bluegrass - gotta love multitaskers.
- Bebop and Hard Bop Jazz - Miles Davis, John Coltrane... Kenny Burrell is one of my favorite guitarists of all time - after Duane Allman and SRV. :D

More music that doesn't suck: Hendrix, System of a Down, U2, Black Sabbath, James Brown, Led Zeppelin, 'tallica, Natalie Merchant/10k Maniacs, Pixies, Tenacious D

yeah, there's more but i'm done now.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Spirare said:
I'm open to music of all sorts. I am more particular and willing to exclude specific 'artists' than a genre entirely. It's all about expression to me. I can't stand bad/trite/banal/cliched lyrics. That eliminates most pop music, where those adjectives seem prerequisite in description. Generally speaking I can't stand pop. Pop country, pop rock, hip pop... ugh.

This week I picked up:
1) A pre-release of Clutch's new album 'Blast Tyrant' (aweosme!)
2) Dizzee Rascal, 'Boy in da Corner' (it's a more aggressive hip hop but musically machinistic in the way of Tricky. Dark, deviant, intelligent. No rap about chrome, ice and shooting people here)
3) I bought a CD of Mahler, although I can't recall right now which symphonies.
4) replaced a stolen classic, Polly Jean Harvey, 'Dry'. I think I may be on my 3rd or fourth of these. One of those albums that turns up missing every year or so.
pop-corns? :poke:

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Im mostly with JRAD on this one

* oldies (50s, 60s)...there might not be any exceptions for me here

* most country...particularly the old twangy stuff
* folk

But I like RAP, though not all, and Love good hip hop, Jurassic 5 is tight.

-Nick

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I can't stand techno.

Other than that I'll listen to anything. People think it's funny when I have the "Any Given Sunday Soundtrack" sitting in the CD changer with Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash. 8)

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
I hate the 'Beatles'! I respect the music and what they did but... I can't help it! I hate em! It's BORING! Re-release re-release re-release.. LET IT GO!

Perfect Circle... ummm Going to see them on may 9th. My favorite off the new album:

Pet

Don’t fret precious, I’m here
Step away from the window
And go, back to sleep

Lay your head down child, I won’t let the boogie men come
Count the bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Pay no mind to the rabble, pay no mind to the rabble
Head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums

Pay no mind what other voices say, they don’t care about you like I do
Safe from pain and truth and choice and other poison devils
See, they don’t give a fuck about you, like I do
Just stay with me, safe and ignorant, go back to sleep, go back to sleep

Lay your head down child, I won’t let the boogie men come
Count the bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Pay no mind to the rabble, pay no mind to the rabble
Head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums

I’ll be the one to protect you from your enemies and all your demons
I’ll be the one to protect you from a will to survive and voice of reason
I’ll be the one to protect you from your enemies and your choices, son
One and the same I must isolate you, isolate and save you from yourself

Swaying to the rhythm of the new world order and
Count bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
The boogie men are coming, the boogie men are coming
Keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums

Stay with me, safe and ignorant, just stay with me,
Hold you and protect you from the other ones
The evil ones, the lucky son

Go back to sleep…

This is what I hear everytime a politican speaks... no mater what he/she is saying. The current admin almost has this message down verboten.

Really though.. check out the Dizzee Rascal. Great fun!

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Saying 'I can't stand Techno' Is like saying 'I can't stand country'. There are some good/talented musicians out there who chose to perform using digital equipment and synth. Some of those musicians have impacted the timbre of analog music now. Some of which is of the hihest order in expression. If you don't like the sound then don't, but it has some merit.... some of it.
I could say I hate Nu Metal... and for the most part I do. But that would exclude a pair of good bands so I won't say it. I like System of a Down and Opeth.
I could say I hate country but that would mean that I would be denying the roots of some of my favorite musicians, and where would the blues be without traditional country as the foundation?

I bet I can find some form of electronica that would appeal to even the most itense hater... maybe...

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
The Swami said:
sammyb said:
reggae and calypso
Ya gwan did it now dere bwoy. :D
To all guys from Jamaica- no offense please

Jamaician guy is applying for green card and he must pass a test on English language.
Teacher: can you please form sentence with these 3 colors-pink,yellow and green

Jamaican guy: I come home, telephone makes "greeng,greeng"; I "pink" up telephone and say "Yellow,Yellow"

sorry if it was not funny or someone knows.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Techno, dance, club, disco music is just horrible.

I also cannot stand Irish Celtic music... I think you need to be wasted to enjoy this crap.

R&B music... while they may be good singers, they cant seem to keep me awake long enough to finish the song....its boring.

Most pop, most rap, most hip-hop... especially 50 cent.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Spirare said:
I bet I can find some form of electronica that would appeal to even the most itense hater... maybe...
i listen to all types of music, and never passed judgement on to others interests. When someone says that there is no skill in trance, dance, techno, electronica; that sends me barking like a rotwiller.
If you cannot get past the "Boom Boom Boom" then you obviously are missing out on the whole point of trance, dance, etc.
Trance is a way of life. You can literally just sit back and listen to while letting your mind escape. If anyone has danced at a club, while listening to trance with a braud tight against you... you'll know why trance is my fav.
I admit it's not for everyone, but I ask those who don't like it to keep it to them selves.

Other than that.. AC DC, Def leppard, I mother earth, incubus, foo fighters, van halen, system of a down, radiohead, linkin park, limp bizkit (i hate fred durst but love his music espcially re-arranged), U2, red hot chillipeppers, 50 cent, jarule, ludacris, Paul Oakenfold; are all great great musicians, and will never get tired of them in the near future.

merk20vt :p

1 - 20 of 53 Posts