Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any special lubricant that is recommended for the door hinges? Also, the hood air prop shaft is getting noisey. Thanks

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
White Lube = Lithium grease. It is available just about everywhere... Wal-Mart, any auto parts store, etc. It comes in sqeeze tubes, aerosol cans, etc.

SirWired

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
White lithuim grease is one of the more common lubes. Spray or tube. It lasts about a year. There is also a lube that VW uses, it was posted a few days ago, not sure of the name.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've used lithium grease (white lube) and have recently used penetrating oil after the lithium grease.

·
Registered
7,575 Posts
I'm using Einszett Ultra Gel.

Excerpt from their website (http://www.1z-usa.com/sys-tmpl/lubricants/) :

When you need a true lubricant, Ultra Gel is a superior synthetic spray grease formulated for the most demanding, high speed, heavy loaded applications. Formulated with Shell® brand AeroShell® Grease 22*, Ultral Gel reduces friction for maximized power output. Wide temperature range from -40°C to +220°C (-40oF to +430oF), resin and acid-free. Turns from a deep penetrating liquid to a long-lasting durable semi-solid lubricant in seconds. Contains active corrosion protection with excellent adhesion. Ultra Gel will not sling, collect dust, and is water resistant. Contains active O-Ring protection for proper maintenance of motorcycle sprockets and chains. Also for use on brake shafts, springs, universal joints, hinges, wheel, ATV's, go-karts, and clutch bearings or wherever high stress points require lubrication. Classified with Military Spec designation (Mil-G-81322 F)*.
Sounds alot like the Wurth product.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Yup, I have high speed, high temp door hinges. lol. ;)

·
Registered
503 Posts
I had a squeak coming from my driver's door hinge, so I tried lithium grease from a tub, but it didn't penetrate. Perhaps a lithium grease spray would work better. In any event, I then tried a fairly heavy bicycle lube (Phil Wood) and it did the job instantly.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I use spray white lithium grease, but it only lasts about 6 months. Still better than dealing with the damned check straps on BMWs and their underengineered doors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts