Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

What looks more natural paint or powdercoat?

4K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  crossingfield 
#1 ·
It will cost me $240 to get these wheels fixed/painted and $360 to get them fixed/powdercoated. How were the original Wellingtons done at the factory, painted or powdercoated. Will the painted wheels look right or will the powdercated wheels look right compared to the original?

Anyway, here are the pics.

Rear Passenger Side Wheel

Rear Driver's Side Wheel

Front Passenger Side Wheel

See less See more
#2 ·
Powerdercoating might be a little overkill for just stock wheels. I think you should just paint them and be happy. I'm pretty sure it will look pretty close to stock. You could save yourself alot of money if you did this yourself. Theres a link that has a nice how-to, I'll try to find it.

#5 ·
When done properly powdercoat should outlast any other applied surface finish.

Powdercoating is applied by spraying the positively powdered pigment to the negatively charged item. (thus you can't "powercoat" plastic). The item is then introduced into an oven where the pigment melts and not only fuses to itself but to the item it is applied. Supposed to be quite flexible and durable surface

If there was any one part I would powdercoat on a car,.....it would be the wheels

http://www.powdercoating.org/benefits/
Powder coating is an advanced method of applying a decorative and protective finish to a wide range of materials and products that are used by both industries and consumers. The powder used for the process is a mixture of finely ground particles of pigment and resin, which is sprayed onto a surface to be coated. The charged powder particles adhere to the electrically grounded surfaces until heated and fused into a smooth coating in a curing oven. The result is a uniform, durable, high-quality, and attractive finish. Powder coating is the fastest-growing finishing technology in North America, representing over 10% of all industrial finishing applications.

#15 ·
Well, I can get 15" Mercedes Benz E500 Replica wheels for about $400 and sell my 4 curb rashed Wellingtons to Wheel Collission Center for $30 each and sell my 5th good Wellington on Ebay.
I don't want to go bigger because I don't want to have to buy new tires or get bad fuel economy.
So what do you think I should go with, Wellingtons or Benz E500 wheels?
Also, does anyone have pics of Passats with E500 wheels?

Anyway, here's the E500 Replica Wheel.
If there are any other 15x7" wheels with the proper bolt pattern for under $400 then I'd apreciate any input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.