Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My passenger head light was burnt out and i need a pair to replace, but i am not sure which one should buy ( i think it is H7). And i want some thing like 5000k - 6000k

What do you recommend for headlight?

my car is 2000 Passat 1.8T

Thanks

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Do you have HID already, if so I would go with what ever matches the other side. IF your dont have HID's they you need to buy a stock blub.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
No i dont have HID installed.

But i've seen on ebay some 6000K bulbs and just plug and play without the need of HID!!?? IS that right?

For example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/XENON-6000K-SUP...4QQihZ004QQcategoryZ94850QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Are they gonna fit? or is there any problem if i use that?

Thanks
iv got those bulbs in my projectors right now. bought them as a quick replacement for a burnt out oem bulb. they are alright, have lasted much longer then i expected( been in for 2 and a half months now) just not bright enough for me.

iv got a 5300k McCulloch HID kit in the mail to replace them now though.

heres some pics of those cheap ebay bulbs
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1579388&postcount=17

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
So it will work without the HID right?
Yes, those bulbs will work without an HID upgrade but I would stay away from those cheap "HID LOOK" bulbs. Because they are blue they will burn hotter and can cause your headlight lenses to yellow or become distorted.
Try www.powerbulbs.co.uk
Get a set of Osram Silver Stars or Phillips Vision Plus.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
^^ ^^ ^^

I'm a little leery of those deals on ebay. If it looks to good to be true it probably is. I'm going for a set of McCullochs. A little more $$ but so far everyone in PW gices them a :thumbup:

BTW, this is what happens to your lenses when you use those cheap "HID LOOK" blue bulbs on ebay....

Don't ask how I know that...:whistle:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
^^ ^^

Slight cracks and spiderwebbing started about 6 months in and then actual deterioration of the outside of the lenses began a few months later.....So I'm told.....:whistle:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wow, the reason because it was too hot isn't it?

What about the Winter in Canada(it's cold so it should not be too hot right)? Could i just use these bulb for a while ( 3 months ) and wait still i have enough money then buy an HID kit?

Thanks

·
Registered
11,873 Posts

What about the Winter in Canada(it's cold so it should not be too hot right)? Could i just use these bulb for a while ( 3 months ) and wait still i have enough money then buy an HID kit?

Thanks
WHy no just by replacement, there not that spendy, if you buy regular bulbs you only have to buy for one side also. If you can spare 20 bucks for the right bulbs sell your passat, cause i dont want to know were else in maintence you are cutting corners.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts

Thanks
:confused: :confused:
Just because it is cold outside I'm not sure that it changes the temp. that the lights run under. The headlights are an enclosed unit with mirrored insides which reflects/projects the light and contributes to the heat intensity I'm sure. If I were you I would just get a set of regular replacement bulbs until you can buy the HID kit. Why would you use "HID LIKE" bulbs that burn much hotter, even for a short time? You're taking a chance on wrecking your current headlights and then you'll be in the market for an HID kit AND new headlights. The "HID LIKE" lights are not that much brighter than the OSRAMS or Phillips if at all.
And besides, unless I missed something they don't sell special bulbs that burn hotter for those who live in colder climates.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts