Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for some input about the causes of death for these beloved chassis?

Accident?
Mechanic's error? Dealer mechanic or other than VW mech?
Just too expensive to keep fixing it?
Factory defect?
Overheating?

It's pretty free form...Add your input as necessary. Any response will help the rest of us.

TIA,

Jack

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
Short story...

In 1998 my then sister-in-law bought the Passat GLS V6 5sp(manual) Fwd when the car was 6 months old. It was a repo from a broken lease.
She bought the car from Hall VW / Mazda in WI. For the first five years of her ownership I took care of all the maintence and reapirs on the car.
In late 2003 there was a riff in the family and that produced tensions between all kinds of family members. Then in 2006 everybody was on speaking terms again.
So from 2003 to 2006 I never saw the car. At that point in time my sister-in-law came back to me with the car and it had a horrible ticking / knocking noise that was very loud at start up but almost silent once it warmed up. It was at that point in time when my sister-in-law decided it was time to get rid of the car because she had already spent a ton of money on the car earlier in the year for work that was never done and work that was just plain half assed. I purchased the car on July 4th 2006 for $1k with about 80k miles on it.
I pulled the valve covers off and noticed new CCT shoes/pads were put on. I drove the car for 3 months and the CCT's failed.
At that point in time I pulled apart the engine and noticed the original CCT shoes had gotten all ground up from bouncing around in the valve train and eventually shredded bits and pieces of the shoes got sucked into the oil pick-up screen and starved the heads of oil.
Car sat until spring 2013 at which point I decided it was time to get it back on the road. Pulled the junk V6 out of it and swapped in a used V6 from a parts car I had purchased. During the swap I put in new rod bearings, new complete timing belt kit, CCT's and all new PCV hoses. To date that car has done multiple trips across the country to various states and has 3 trips to from WI to AZ, AZ to WI and finally WI AZ.
Car is still my daily driver. For the first 6 months of me being here in Phoenix I was doing 400 miles a week to work and back.

So yeah the car was dead at a certain time in it's life due to a poor assed job of trying repair the CCT's.

And yes the car has had a few other parts put on it and it's had it's issues at times but for the amount of money I purchased the car for and have spent on it to date, I have never had a better car for the money. :driving:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I've had 4 B5.5 1.8t wagons and the only one I let go was one I gave my son for $1. He got rear-ended and the insurance company totaled the car. It still drives but he's in grad school near NYC and says he doesn't need a car so he's going to sell it. If it was closer I'd just put a new rear hatch on it and keep it going but I'm not flying out there to search around junkyards for him and he doesn't do car work.

One other wagon that I just sold survived an Tiptronic transplant (wife drove it across the country with low fluid and some clutches fused together) and a head transplant (over-heated). There were plenty of other repairs on that car but it was in fine fettle when I sold it and I'm sure it will serve it's new owners well.

So now I'm stuck with a wagon with 72k miles on it that I'm planning to give son #2 when he graduates next year and my 'baby' a 5spd wagon that runs fine but needs some attention to get up to PassatWorld maintenance standards ;)

Bottom line, out here in CO where there is no rust, it's not hard to keep these cars going indefinitely. Lots of parts are available in the boneyards and rubber hoses, etc are still readily available from vendors. I will probably still be driving some sort of B5.5 Passat wagon for another 10-20 years, if I last that long....

·
Registered
29,152 Posts
Flipped my 1st one. Hopefully the other 3 will never die. The 5th was a running donor that I stole the engine out of, so it's dead once I finally junk it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does it count if in 6 months it's only moved probably 2 weeks in total from breakdowns. Nearly 200 000kms and everything seems to be breaking. Parts aren't exactly easy to come by here in Australia and if they do have them it's stupidly expensive. Example being the alternator went. Can get it from the US for 1/3 the price locally but wait time is nearly a month.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Sounds like it's become a habit!
Yep. Fortunately there are other addicts in the area so without a CL notification in place all the really cool cars sell before temptation can set in. I imagine that at some point the junkyard supply will start to dry up as most of the B5.5's are probably over 150k miles by now but at least for a few more years the pickin's should be good.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I've only had two. A 2000 GLS six/5spd which I bought in the fall of 2003. I drove that car for 5 years until my wife had knee replacements which required an automatic. Bought my present GLX in the fall of 2008. (No one was buying cars in 2008, so it was cheap. Audi was so desperate to sell 2008 A4s here they created a "Special Edition" with Y spoke wheels and an S-Line badge on the grill. [It wasn't an S-Line.]) Summary: 2 cars, 200k miles, 15 years, no dead cars.

·
Registered
320 Posts
My 1st B5 is a 99 Passat GLS 1.8t auto. It's first death was when someone decided the timing belt could go for 200k miles without service. Oops. Destroyed the top end of the motor. I bought the car for $400, put a used motor in it with new timing components, PCV parts, and a replacement cat. Drove it on and off for a year or so until the car mysteriously flooded the driver's front floorboard. The only thing I can think of is the trunk, which for some reason will not latch closed. So she sits in my 12 x 45 storage unit until I can find the leak, fix it, and then repair the CCM harness. FWIW, I was there a few days ago, and hooked the battery up and with a little dragging and cranking, she fired right up. However, this turbo it leaking oil, so I need to replace it before it kills the cat.

My next acquisition is going to be a 03 GLX Wagon with the V6. It has a mysterious electrical problem (bad CCM I hope), and it has a slight coolant leak, which I think might be the coolant pipe o-rings. Going to pick that up this weekend, assuming my Jeep will stay running long enough to get a trailer down to get it. Oh, the CV axles are going bad too... click click click...

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
Aren't they majorly expensive?
Yes they are, but it's the last set of axles you'll ever buy. Lifetime warranty. The only set of axles that I know of that don't clickity click or cause vibrations, ever.

Reactions: sequel95

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,588 Posts
We have had three B5 chassis cars in the family -- 1996 A4, 2000 S4, and 2001 Passat wagon.

The A4 (12-valve V6, automatic, quattro) was my younger son's first car, and now mine. (You parents out there understand this reverse hand-me-down phenomenon.) Anyway, it is still running strong with only 111K mi on the odometer, so as long as I trust it, I plan to keep driving it.

Against my strongly-worded advice, my younger son traded up(??!) to the S4 with a CarFax rap sheet a mile long, and the 2.8T engine was indeed a money pit, although he did learn a lot about cars from working on it with me. He wisely got out from under it a few years ago.

The late-production AUG 1.8T B5 Passat wagon is my favorite of the three, because of the cargo room and rear seat legroom, but it is definitely my wife's car :) . With only 66K mi on the clock, we plan to keep it running as long as possible, as well.

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,296 Posts
04 B5.5 Variant. Just ticked over 170k miles. Nothing major at all. I did a manual swap because I was tired of the Tiptragic. (see donor below)
2000 B5 sedan I bought from vwb5t. He bought it with a grenaded trans and swapped his 2.7T and manual trans into it. Sold it to me with his old ATW 1.8T and manual in it. Drove it a couple of years and decided it was time to let her go to the scrap yard in the sky. Pulled the drivetrain and used the trans, clutch, mounts, etc. to swap into my 04. All I had to do was buy the pedal assy and axles.

So my 04 had a new lease on life and the 2000 had been through a couple of heart transplants.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Hit a curb, air bags deployed, and a week or two later the cluster failed and the car was dead. That same accident also took out the radiator and radiator support I had replaced after rear ending someone earlier that year. Car was at 246,000 miles. I am confident it would have hit 300,000 with no problem had I not had two silly lapses of judgement.

·
Registered
29,152 Posts
:icon_eek: Everyone ok, I hope. (My B5 hasn't died, yet .... runs fine, looks like cit. I'm sure my repair capabilities will eventually kill it. lol.)
I had a small cut in my knee from the windshield glass when I crawled back in to get my wife. She was not very happy hanging upside down by her seat belt. My ego was severely damaged...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.