Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow club B5er's

Just wondering your thoughts on the 07 rabbit with a 2.5 gas engine. The local dealer has one for 19,900 CDN Pre tax etc...

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Malcolm

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
I'm considering one to replace my Audi, put me in the Passat and let the wife drive it. The 2.5 is a solid engine but a little raspy. Reliabilty on the Rabbit remains to be seen however that motor has performed well to date in the Jetta and NB... I just want it in AWD with 4 door!

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
It is smaller than my car, but weighs the same... Lame.

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,698 Posts
Looks like tuners as well as VW are working on forced induction kits for this engine in the future so it may be a real sleeper.

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
I drove a Jetta with the 2.5 and didnt really care for it. I did like the fact that it was more responsive and punchier off the line compared to a 1.8T. The slooooow response of the 1.8T always bugged me. But the 2.5 sometimes seemed a bit more hesitant on the highway when I had to punch it at times. It just felt kinda rough and has a noisy, god awful sound to it.

Part of that could've been the way the pedals felt, not just the engine itself. The Jetta had a rather stiff gas pedal and a really loose, numb steering feel that made for an odd combination.

Overall, if I were getting a Jetta/Rabbit/GTI, I'd want to check out the 2.0T

·
Registered
124 Posts
I test drove a 2 door base model 2.5 with a 5 speed and it was quick and handled nice even though the ride was slightly choppier than my 2005 passat
there will be 2008 diesel rabbits with the 2.0 diesel

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I drove a Jetta with the 2.5 and didnt really care for it. I did like the fact that it was more responsive and punchier off the line compared to a 1.8T. The slooooow response of the 1.8T always bugged me. But the 2.5 sometimes seemed a bit more hesitant on the highway when I had to punch it at times. It just felt kinda rough and has a noisy, god awful sound to it.

Part of that could've been the way the pedals felt, not just the engine itself. The Jetta had a rather stiff gas pedal and a really loose, numb steering feel that made for an odd combination.

Agreed, I didn't like the 2.5. Go for the 2.0T

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
I bet you all missed me being devil's advocate (or the sensible voice ;) :p ) in here.

Buy a Fit. It drives like a dream compared to the Rabbit. The weight distributions might be similar, but its about 600 lbs lighter, and since the gas tank is under the driver, the polar moment of inertia is much lower on the Fit. Even though they're both FWD, the Fit *actually* wants to turn.

The Fit is much more fuel efficient (31/38 vs. 22/30), is cheaper (although you might be able to strike a deal on a VW since they're bleeding so), and isn't a slouch at all since its so light (109 bhp is good for 0-60 in 8 something, 1/4 mile in the 16's...which is almost identical to how the Rabbit 2.5 performs on the drag strip).

Test drive one...and experience something called "steering feel". :lol:

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Do you think the Fit's safety features and safety performance can compare to the Rabbit? The Rabbit seems very safe for < $16,000
I'd say they do, actually.

Frontal crash rating for both driver and passenger is 5 stars, while the Rabbit only scored 4.
Front side impact for both cars is 5 stars.
Rear side impact for the Fit is 3 stars while the VW scored 5.

So you win some, and you lose some.

And as for subcompact vs. compact, it's all a buncha EPA bullshit anyways. Here's the data (Fit on the left, Rabbit on the right).

Code:
Standard Seating 	 	5  	5
Optional Seating 		No data No data
Front Headroom (in.) 		40.60 	39.30
Rear Headroom (in.) 		38.60 	38.50
Front Legroom (in.) 		41.90 	41.20
Rear Legroom (in.) 		33.70 	35.30
Front Shoulder Room (in.) 	52.80 	54.70
Rear Shoulder Room (in.) 	50.60 	54.60
Front Hip Room (in.) 		51.20 	No data
Rear Hip Room (in.) 		51.00 	No data
Passenger Volume (cu. ft.)  	90.00  	94.00
Cargo Volume (cu. ft.) 		21.30 	15.00

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
I don't know about prices in the US but in Canada there is a $5k price difference between the Fit and the Rabbit. The Rabbit has a larger and more powerful engine and it has a better finish and standard equipment. You may feel that the Fit is a better car however I am arguing that they aren't in the same category. In fact in Canada, VW has continued to sell the Mk4 Jetta and Golf and branded them as the City in order to compete with entry level offerings from other brands. Comparing the Fit and Rabbit is like comparing a Miata and an Eos because there both convertibles. They are not in the same category.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
imo, the rabbit just doesn't make too much sense. i don't think it does anything particularly well. i agree that the Fit is a much more sensible choice in termns of utility & value. Its also its equal in performance and safety. Then again, the Fit is also a much better choice than the more pricey base civic. The current Fit is also a pretty old model (5-6 yrs into its production cycle), which speaks of its capabilty.

Performance potential wise, the Fit motor isnt meant for power. you could always throw in a K-series swap to make more power. its a common and proven setup. I doubt think the Rabbit has too much potential.

I can understand the appeal of the GTi (more expensive, but a lot more value for what you get), but def not the Rabbit. The same could prob be said of the Civic Si and the base civic. I think VW should have just brought over the Polo, or whatever is the next smaller size car below the Golf. TDi engine choice would have also made more sense if the purpose of the car was to be an econobox. I don't think the 2.5l engine should be offered period.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I don't know about prices in the US but in Canada there is a $5k price difference between the Fit and the Rabbit. The Rabbit has a larger and more powerful engine and it has a better finish and standard equipment. You may feel that the Fit is a better car however I am arguing that they aren't in the same category. In fact in Canada, VW has continued to sell the Mk4 Jetta and Golf and branded them as the City in order to compete with entry level offerings from other brands. Comparing the Fit and Rabbit is like comparing a Miata and an Eos because there both convertibles. They are not in the same category.
I think the only thing that differentiates the Rabbit with the Fit, is that (as with almost all VW products) the Rabbit has more luxurious materials, is heavier, and feels more 'upscale'. A lot of the VW compact cars of the present have grown to the size comparable to midsize cars of the past. imo, VWoA doesn't have a compact in the US. The current Rabbit prob weighs more than a base B5 passat.

Otherwise, i really don't see how its that much different. If anything, they're all in the fwd econobox category, perform somewhat similarly. I do think the Polo and the Fit may be a more similar competitor though.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts

the rabbit isn't a performance car, so the numb steering is fine, for it's purpose. my gti has pretty firm steering.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Looks like tuners as well as VW are working on forced induction kits for this engine in the future so it may be a real sleeper.
to the common person, a gti would look very similar to the rabbit. in fact, i'd be willing to bet that the majority of non-vw enthusiasts couldn't tell the difference from the outside with a front bumper/grille and emblem swap.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts