Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is this under the intake manifold & is it suppose to be separating (pics) HELP!

Earlier today i was checking the pcv system to see if any hoses were cracked. no hoses were cracked but i did see this. What is this and is this suppose to be seperating? The car is a 99 passat 1.8t AEB tiptronic.
Area with red circled in picture is where the separation is.

This is the area where its separating looking from above the intake manifold.

This is the separation of the area from looking from under intake manifold.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,135 Posts
Thanks ill be buying the kit. also is it a messy and hard job?
Once you get the intake manifold out of the way, no. (There should be a manifold gasket in that kit) If you don't want to pull the manifold, you'll need tiny little hands, a good shop light, and a lot of hand cleaner plus a band-air or two afterward.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Once you get the intake manifold out of the way, no. (There should be a manifold gasket in that kit) If you don't want to pull the manifold, you'll need tiny little hands, a good shop light, and a lot of hand cleaner plus a band-air or two afterward.
LOL thanks. I already put the order in and should recieve it by next week. But the kit doesn't include a manifold gasket. :banghead: So i guess ill be going to advance to buy the gasket.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Good luck with that... Advance, etc. will most likely not have the gasket, and probably can't even order it. You'll likely need to hit up a dealer or order one online. The big parts chains carry barely anything that these cars require... :banghead:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Some of the autozones around here seem to have a lot of gaskets for the 1.8t? They had the valve cover gasket surprisingly.

I have a question that's some what related. I replaced all the valves in my PCV system but didn't do the breather kit about 7k miles ago. Well I'm getting an oil leak around my valve cover and have already replaced the gasket so I think it's the PCV system. Should my valves be ok still and I can just replace the breather and T section?

·
Registered
6 Posts
LOL thanks. I already put the order in and should recieve it by next week. But the kit doesn't include a manifold gasket. :banghead: So i guess ill be going to advance to buy the gasket.
Try removing the alternator instead of the intake manifold, you will also need to remove the engine driven fan to get the lower alternator bolt out. The fan is held with one allen head bolt from the backside of the fan that is under the alternator. Use a flashlight and mirror to find the bolt holding the fan. Replacing the PCV parts will make a big difference in driveability. You might want to clean under the intake manifold before you replace the parts, just to make it easier. PM me if you have any questions.:driving:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
... removing the manifold is a lot easier then removing the alternator.
X2. I have the same AEB as you. Even the first time you remove the intake mani takes only about 45'. For reassemble a new intake gasket costs < $5. The mani bolts get torqued quite lite, but an extended hex socket set with rounded/ball hex tip ends makes reassembly much easier.

Plan on doing this in conjunction with a thorough throttle body and intake mani cleaning, and fuel rail/injector washing. Keep the fuel injectors in the intake mani unless you plan on R/R or upgrading.

Having the manifold off gives you complete accessibility to the entire right side of the engine. Also replace your oil dip stick collet and keep a spare in your tool box. Buy an intake manifold gasket, throttle body gasket, the ECS hose kit referenced before and a couple of oil dipstick assemblies.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
X2. I have the same AEB as you. Even the first time you remove the intake mani takes only about 45'. For reassemble a new intake gasket costs < $5. The mani bolts get torqued quite lite, but an extended hex socket set with rounded/ball hex tip ends makes reassembly much easier.

Plan on doing this in conjunction with a thorough throttle body and intake mani cleaning, and fuel rail/injector washing. Keep the fuel injectors in the intake mani unless you plan on R/R or upgrading.

Having the manifold off gives you complete accessibility to the entire right side of the engine. Also replace your oil dip stick collet and keep a spare in your tool box. Buy an intake manifold gasket, throttle body gasket, the ECS hose kit referenced before and a couple of oil dipstick assemblies.
Thanks ill being doing the job this week coming up since i should have the hose kit shipped to my house then so ill let you guys know how it goes. Also if i run into any problems ill let you guys know so you can help me out :thumbup: . Also is the dipstick assembly a dealership part?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts