Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I replaced my rear pads and rotors because they were warping..... and this was around 33,000 miles. That seemed early.

Dealer is now telling me that they have to be replaced again. I'm at 58000 miles now. What the hell? Rear brakes and rotors every 30K miles?

Two questions:

1. Is this normal for our cars?

2. Should I replace with some other rotors/pads that are better?

(edit): I have a 1.8T 2002 manual tranny. I don't use the tranny to downshift to a stop, I do use the brakes.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Passats braking is rear-biased, causes lots of pad wear.
Also VW rotors are pretty thin, so they must be relaced at every chnage.
Get some PBR pads, cleaning dust of wheels every week is a PITA. Blank (not slotted or vented) brembo rotors too.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Get some PBR pads, cleaning dust of wheels every week is a PITA. Blank (not slotted or vented) brembo rotors too.
X2.

I like PBRs. Have 'em on my Jetta.

I love the way Pagid pads feel with the Brembo rotors on my wife's Passat, but man are they dusty.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
X2.

I like PBRs. Have 'em on my Jetta.

I love the way Pagid pads feel with the Brembo rotors on my wife's Passat, but man are they dusty.
PBR....... who sells them? Are they metallic? If so, shouldn't that warp the rotors more?

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
I just installed that combination myself and I'm very happy with it so far.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
why get blank?
wouldn't the slotted or vented give better performance?
(i don't know the difference in performance yet.)

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
why get blank?
wouldn't the slotted or vented give better performance?
(i don't know the difference in performance yet.)
The difference is minimal with stock brakes on the street and slotted/drilled rotors cost quite a bit more. Also, blank rotors tend to be a bit more durable
Also, PBRs are in the marketplace. The deluxe pads should not wear the wear anymore than the stockers. Also, as you have to chuck teh rotors anyhow, the rotor wear isn't a huge issue (they're not gonna wear though with one pad)

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I think it's just that the OEM rear rotors are not durable enough for the rear-biased braking system of the passat. I had them replaced at 10k miles, and then again at 25k miles. Right now I'm at 35k and no warpage so far but I just ordered a full set of blank brembos to go with the Ultimate pads I already have installed.

So if you head over to the marketplace forum you can get a full set of brembo blanks and PBR/Axxis pads for just shy of $300 which is a sweet deal in my opinion, plus you will have much better stopping power over stock and you won't have to replace the rotors as often as your tires. :thumbup:

·
13,904 Posts
The difference is minimal with stock brakes on the street and slotted/drilled rotors cost quite a bit more. Also, blank rotors tend to be a bit more durable
Also, PBRs are in the marketplace. The deluxe pads should not wear the wear anymore than the stockers. Also, as you have to chuck teh rotors anyhow, the rotor wear isn't a huge issue (they're not gonna wear though with one pad)
so then, what you're saying in response to me, is that because the gap in performance is so small, and the price is considerably varied, blanks are just economically good all around?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
so then, what you're saying in response to me, is that because the gap in performance is so small, and the price is considerably varied, blanks are just economically good all around?
its really up to your wallet and what you want out of the car.

slotted/drilled
-------------
higher cost
eats pads faster
not going to notice a preformance diffrence over blanks for normal driving(street)
stop faster when it counts:cool:
look cool

blanks
-------------
low cost = :) wallet

·
13,904 Posts
speaking economically, would it be worth hte extra few bucks to get slotted/drilled??
(that's what i was asking, i have an issue with lack of words. heh..)

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
depends on your driving. abs already stops the car pretty quick with blanks.

if you regulary brake late and really use your brakes then yes. or if you just want the added safty of improved braking ability.

·
13,904 Posts
hmm.
well, if it does make a considerable difference, then it's got a priority on my list.
being so because, i like to look ahead.
pay a hundred now, save a thousand later.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
or if you just want the added safty of improved braking ability.
Slottle/drilled brakes only aid in cooling, and slotted are said to aid in "wiping" water from the contact surface.

As far as stopping distance goes, unless you are riding the brakes often, it isn't going to improve stopping distance one bit. In my mind, that is the only measure of "improved brakeing ability" that counts.

SirWired

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
My rears (2003 V6 4Motion) needed replacing at 40k.
4Motion uses different rotors on rear so they were harder to source.
At the time I went with Brembo crossdrilled and EBC GreenStuff pads.
I also did the fronts, though they would have gone another 20k.

·
Registered
996 Posts
The rear rotors on my '03 GLS warped at 19K miles. I replaced them with plain Brembo rotors and Minitex Redbox pads. However, the Minitex were terrible in the rain--initial application was like having no brakes at all (took a couple of seconds to "bite"). So I replaced just the pads with PBR Deluxe, and they have been great in the wet, and even a much firmer pedal feel. Very low dust also.

FYI, the plain Brembos rust pretty badly (edges and hats), so if you're worried about appearances, they may not be the rotor for you.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
There is so little braking surface with the rears, why would you want to further cut that down by getting vented or slotted rotors? Makes little sense outside of aesthetics. Further, if you've managed to overheat your rear brakes I think you'd have much worse issues to deal with up front anyways. You wouldn't be taking advantage of whatever cooling you have in the rear. For the fronts though a vented wheel is sound.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
im def going with diff pads when i need new breakes..im tired of cleaning my rims and then the next day there filthy again..pisses me off to no extent

1 - 20 of 25 Posts