Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive seen this megasquirt system here and there on other forums, one person on vortex uses it, but i have a few friends who think its the ish. ive looked at the faq pages about it and im sure that it is capable of running an engine, but i dont see the point. it doesnt look as easy to install as 034efi and it pails in comparison to aem ems, which ive actually played with the software too.
can anybody give me a convincing argument as to what makes megasqirt so great that someone shouldnt "waste their money' on other sandalones????

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Price?

Sorry, that's not very convincing - or maybe it is, if you don't have the money for the other systems.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Why not post a link to whatever this is so others can possibly chime in.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Yeah...$300 or $2000...I think that's pretty convincing...

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
A guy in the Va Tech VW club has it on his BT'd corrado. I don't really know anything about it though. He might post on here at somepoint, he actually still has a Passat and gets on here occasionally...

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
You can run it in pretty much any fuel-injected mode beyond CIS? If you need wideband-O2, punch it in. If not, leave it out. The price is what gets a lot of attention but the build it yourself surprises you. Then the flexibility creeps in and whatever you're building, it probably fits. It's kinda like open source for the gearheads. ;)

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
So what I want to know, with any true standalone system, is - what about the factory ECU? The ECU controls so many more things than just the engine, like the trip computer/MFA displays, tachometer, etc. - how do you replace the engine management piece of the ECU while retaining the other functions, without the ECU freaking out? If I could do that, I'd get Megasquirt in a heartbeat.

There's also the problem of emission checks - they don't do tailpipe anymore in Albuquerque - they do an OBDII scan. Gotta have those readiness codes ...

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rusty-thats what 034efi does, retain the functions that your ecu controls while taking it out of the engine control loop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts