Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to do the the grounding mod from HermanH's site...he says as a final step to do the "2 minute Drill" on the ECM since the battery terminal was removed.
A little help would go long way right now. :lol:
Thanks

·
Registered
774 Posts
Reconnect the battery, open the door, turn the key to the "On" position (the engine is not running) and let the car sit that way for at least 2 minutes. I think it allows a reset of the throttle body adaptor, or something like that. It's necessary to reset the ECU when power has been disconnected.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, thanks man!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I think he's referring to the throttle body adaptation procedure (TBA). In our cars with throttle by wire, the ECU has to be recalibrated to correctly operate the throttle electronically every time you disconnect the battey. Ideally you use a VAG-COM (or VW dealer analyser tool) to do this (see instructions on the Ross-Tech web site).

I read that there is a "quick & dirty" method:
- Open drivers door and bonnet.
- turn ignition key to on position (not start position)
- leave key in that position for 30 seconds after the throttle body stops clicking (about 35 seconds total). Some people say you have to leave it for 2 minutes, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, etc. (hence 2 minute drill?)
- turn off ignition key.
- close bonnet & drivers door.
NOTE: Do not touch the thottlr or gas pedal during this procedure.

Someone please correct me if I'm off base here :roll:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thanks, Feilo :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts