Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
using my own knowledge, i was say that this has to do with a fuel management system. is so how does this differ, and what is involved. also how much power is needed in order to go to a stand-alone. if a stand alone system does not deal with fuel management, then what does this term mean. i will try a search, but anything will help clearify this for me.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
standale is a complete engine management. it replaces the ecu, gives you MANY more options for tuning. different maps for boost applications non boost applications. fuel. air. boost. you have so many options to play with its not even funny.

you dont need a certain amount of power, but its recommended when you want to have high HP, much easier to tune.

390todawheels or w/e has standalone you should talk to him about it

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
You probably also need a way to fool the ECU into not throwing half a million error codes when it's disconnected. I don't think you can just remove it; it still does other jobs like running the gauge cluster and the ABS and whatnot.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
i guess i will talk to 390 to da wheels. but just out of curiosity, who makes the standalone systems?

I'd talk to rusty before that 390 kid. Rusty is the only person that I know of that has reached 1Bar of boost on the stock ECU, but he finally upgraded to stand alone to finer tune his setup.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
I'd talk to rusty before that 390 kid. Rusty is the only person that I know of that has reached 1Bar of boost on the stock ECU, but he finally upgraded to stand alone to finer tune his setup.
No, I don't have true standalone. I just have a "pseudo-standalone" for fuel management only.

Check out

www.034motorsport.com for their 034EFI system,
and www.megasquirt.com,
and there's the one that BillyT uses that I can't remember the name of right now. Starts with an "H"? Haldex?

These websites will be interesting for you to browse. The megasquirt site has a ton of tech info.

And talk to 390. He's done it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Standalone opens up a whole world of tuning potential. But it should be noted that tuning these things takes time and money... and should almost always be done on a dyno. If you pick a particular standalone such as 034motorsport or Autronic, make sure there is an experienced tuner near you to help tune the car. Plus, at times while it may help overall power output, other areas may suffer, such as cold-start and around town driveability...
Are you planning on going with a custom big turbo setup anytime soon?

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
390 uses their stage 1c standalone and im in the process of installing my 1c too, those 034 guys are great very helpful. its a bit pain to install ill tell you that, you will need to hack stock ecu or at least harness to it.... you should check out their forum

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
You probably also need a way to fool the ECU into not throwing half a million error codes when it's disconnected. I don't think you can just remove it; it still does other jobs like running the gauge cluster and the ABS and whatnot.
the ecu will not throw any codes when its simply not there...
and the rest of the contoll moduals will work exacly the same ..
however if you car is drive by wire you going to have to conver it to drive by cable, and then some of the controll moduals might not work as they supposed to.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
390 uses their stage 1c standalone and im in the process of installing my 1c too, those 034 guys are great very helpful. its a bit pain to install ill tell you that, you will need to hack stock ecu or at least harness to it.... you should check out their forum
you could also go easies method, when you just throw the wire harness out of your engine bay and run all new wires from stand alone... instead of searching for pin out or buying the harness from efi...

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Standalone opens up a whole world of tuning potential. But it should be noted that tuning these things takes time and money... and should almost always be done on a dyno. If you pick a particular standalone such as 034motorsport or Autronic, make sure there is an experienced tuner near you to help tune the car. Plus, at times while it may help overall power output, other areas may suffer, such as cold-start and around town driveability...
Are you planning on going with a custom big turbo setup anytime soon?
and you forgot to mantion all the other things like, a/c stereo systems and any other thing in your car that needs a little rawe up of the engine... some times that sucks, however it all depends on the stand alone system you will pick. there are systems that will function exacly the same way your stock ecu does, but with allot of pain in the ass to install and tune every little thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts