Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been in kind of emergency preparedness mode for the last few weeks, both in the apartment and cars. I've been evaluating what I carry with me in my Passat, and our other cars (HRV, Camry). I clearly need to add some things, but wanted to get some feedback.

FLUIDS:

- VW PS fluid (need to top off occasionally because of seep at PS hose connections)
- VW 50/50 G12/Distilled Coolant
- Oil (quart) - I always say my car takes 7 quarts, 6 in the front, 1 in the back ;) - maybe that will change after the PCV/VCG replacements

TOOLS:

- Basic OEM jack, with OEM lug bolt wrench
- Heavy duty jumper cables
- Duct tape (my window regulator clips have broken enough times)
- Piece of wood (see above about clips)
- Strap downs, bungees, and rope
- LED flashlight with strobe function
- DC to 120 AC converter
- Zip/wire ties in regular sizes and extra-extra-long (I think half my car is held together by zip ties)
- Paper towels, rags, clean hand wipes
- Heavy duty gloves, and multiple pairs of nitrile gloves
- Just ordered an emergency tool kit which includes: 1-6-in. Adjustable Wrench, Reversible Ratchet, Spark Plug Sockets (5/8-in., 13/16-in). SAE Sockets (3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 11/16), 6-Point Metric Sockets (8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 15mm), 5-in Curved Jaw Locking Pliers, 10-50 PSI Tire Gauge, 4 Open-End Wrenches (3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 10mm, 11mm, 12mm, 14mm), Magnetic Screwdriver 20-1-in. (includes torx, allen, slotted, and phillips bits), torx 8-Star Keys, Gap Gauge, Storage Pouch. (I'll probably replace several of the SAE tools with metric spares that I have).

PARTS:

- Full tire spare in good condition (Our HRV only came with a spare; I think we should buy a full)

FIRST AID / EMERGENCY:

- AAA premier card (best tool in the car)
- Primary cell phone (of course)
- Had a "comprehensive" first aid kit, but it all dried out and needs replacing (this time around, I'd like to buy something more geared towards a serious car accident/emergency, not just scraping one's knee - many seem to have 200 regular bandaids, rather than heavier duty bandages - suggestions?)
- Thinking of buying reflective car triangles, hazard indicators?

I might have missed a few things, going from memory. Just curious if there's something glaringly missing from my list, especially specific to the Passat. Recommendations to augment and/or add would be much appreciated! :)

EDIT (will add more things as they come to mind):

- Keyed lug bolt tool for locked set
- Passat car manual (in glove box, but worth mentioning) - I should probably put the Haynes manual in my car!
- Cell phone charger (again, glove box)
- Backup sunglasses

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,065 Posts
Since my travels rarely take me anywhere remote or out of cell range, my emergency supplies are basic.

Emergency:
  • VW First aid kit
  • Warning triangles (you can get OEM-like ones on Amazon $15 for a 3 pack or something)
  • Full-size Spare (15" won't fit over A8 brakes, but can just do a double tire change)
  • Scissor jack instead of widowmaker
  • Jumper cables (but will clutch bump start before I use those)
  • Premix 1.5l G12++
  • 1L 5w40
  • Rubber gloves
  • 2.5# recall free ABC Fire Extinguisher

• Air compressor
  • Bottle of water
  • Tire change tool kit

Others:
  • Subwoofer
  • Xmas Presents (at the moment, it's best place to hide them from the kids)
  • Cargo net
  • Ratchet straps (for xmas tree on roof rack, usually)
  • Various length bungees
  • Screwdrivers
  • Adjustable wrench

Reactions: LineInTheWater

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Since my travels rarely take me anywhere remote or out of cell range, my emergency supplies are basic.

Emergency:
  • VW First aid kit
  • Warning triangles (you can get OEM-like ones on Amazon $15 for a 3 pack or something)
  • Full-size Spare (15" won't fit over A8 brakes, but can just do a double tire change)
  • Scissor jack instead of widowmaker
  • 2.5# recall free ABC Fire Extinguisher

• Air compressor
  • Bottle of water
  • Tire change tool kit
Thanks!

- What is the "VW first Aid kit"? Does it cost 5x as much as every other kit? ;-)

- "Full-size Spare (15" won't fit over A8 brakes, but can just do a double tire change)" Can you clarify, as this just went right over my head?

- Can you suggest a scissor jack model to replace my widowmaker? That would be a good upgrade.

- 2.5# recall free ABC Fire Extinguisher - need to consider this. Thanks.

- Air compressor - Considering. Maybe I should throw my spare bike pump in ... takes forever, but gets the job done.

- Tire change tool kit - what's in this kit?

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,065 Posts
First aid kit I snagged from my CC when I traded it in

I did the A8 front brake upgrade. Basically, mkI TT Caliper carriers with A8 rotors. To change a flat front tire, I’d have to move the rear tire to the front and place the spare at the rear. The spare won’t fit over the larger front brakes.

Any good quality scissor jack from the auto parts store will do.

I got a good vanair compressor from amazon for $35

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28,021 Posts
Nothing apart from the spare and widowmaker unless we are taking a trip. Then it's one liter of oil. I keep a small LED flashlight in all of the gloveboxes. In the kid's cars, it's 1L of oil each and maybe 1L of coolant.

Reactions: benzivr6
1 - 10 of 10 Posts