Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so as you can probably tell i'm no very engine savvy, and i'm wondering if somebody could explain what a snub mount is and exactly what it does? Can it cause the car to feel shaky when accelerating? This is the problem I'm having and somebody told me to replace this. I'm wondering if this could be the problem, how hard it is to replace. And exactly what this thing does???

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
vwguru17 said:
okay so as you can probably tell i'm no very engine savvy, and i'm wondering if somebody could explain what a snub mount is and exactly what it does? Can it cause the car to feel shaky when accelerating? This is the problem I'm having and somebody told me to replace this. I'm wondering if this could be the problem, how hard it is to replace. And exactly what this thing does???
I believe the snub mount dampens the forces of the engine to make them less noticable during normal driving. If your mount is going bad, then yes it can cause a shaky feeling when accelerating.

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
the snub mount replaces the front engine mount on the car. This mount enhances upshifting and downshifting, reduces driveline shock, and helps power transfer by taking up excess drivetrain slack.

·
Registered
82 Posts
As mentioned in the above thread the snub mount is your front motor mount and the problem that you are experiencing very well could be the snub mount. I just replaced my snub mount this past weekend (cost from dealer $8. I was also getting a vibration while in drive at idle where the steering weel shook and interior parts made a raddleing noise. it overall just felt like something is giong wrong with the engine. the job is Very easy .

I am talking from experience on a 1999 1.8t sedan. If you have the v6 do not go by my experience!!!!!

It is explained in the information forum, but i did it a little different. First, jack up the car. remove the plastic skid plate, remove the three bolts that fasten the aluminum houseing that goes around the rubber mount from the black plate. when your under ther you will know what i mean. Loosten the engine mount nuts so the nuts are at the bottom of the threads.
Here is the tricky part Use Extreme caution!!!!!!
put a floor jack with a piece of wood on it under the oil pan. with the hood open jack the engine up carefully makeing sure the engine is not going to bind up with the fire wall or hurt the plastic temp sensor at the back of the engine. you only have to move the engine an inch or two. now go below and pull the rubber ball like thing off the mount (Located in the center of the black metal turbo piping that connects the turbo to the intercooler) this may take a little bit of muscle but will eventualy come off, replace with new rubber mount (again may require some twisting and pushing) then replace everyting in reverse.
disclamers:
-read all the posts in the information forum pertaining to this subject
-speaking from experience with a 1999 i.8t sedan
-Always use jack stands. I even put an extra jack stand under the car that is not holding any weight just in case someting happens
- the only reason i jacked up the engine is because i could not get a good enough grip on the rubber mount to pull it off, first try to pull the rubber mount off before you jack up the engine
---Not resonsible for any damage---

My car rides much better with no vibration at idle or while driveing.
Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
vwguru17
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing