Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no idea why it would need any (since it just received a full service and tune up 1500 miles ago), but I checked the oil today in the 2000 V6 Passat I drove home from Cincinnati Monday and the level was beneath the hash-marked indicator part of the dipstick. According to the owner's manual, the oil-level was in the "C" range (must add oil) whereas it should have been in the "B" range (the area in the hashmarks) but not above the "A" range.

So I added a quart of good Amsoil synthetic and now the level seems to be above the "A" level?

Did I screw up? What if I added too much oil? What am I supposed to do? :nervous:

·
Registered
871 Posts
Are you sure you had engine warm and then waited for 10 min to check level on even surface? Sorry, not trying to insult your inteligence, just making sure you understood the procedure. Anyway, you did screw up now and too much oil is bad. Need to remove extra one way or another...

·
Registered
26,817 Posts
How much a bove the A level? Just a little 1/4" and you should be ok. Most V6s burn
oil anyway,so it will be down soon. An extra pint in the pan should be less than
1/2".

·
Registered
100 Posts
I believe that too much oil (may not be your case) causes problems for the catalytic converters. V6 has 2 and both are 2 damn expensive. BECAREFUL.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
add oil slowly and dont rush to take the measurements :thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts