Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have pics that I took with my camera phone, but can't upload them. Anyone know how? I want to do a write up and show the pics of the car with the motor out, and pics of the melted piston.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Justin.
Ever since I put the cams in, my car was rich at lower rpms, and lean at higher rpms.
The first pic is my ride home.
In the last pic, you can see the signs of detonation by the valves (looks like dots).
You can also see the dots on the piston pics.
The 4th cyl. got so hot, it melted the edge of the piston causing damage to the cylinder wall and fracturing the block.
All the pistons had damage. The 4th got it the worst because of our fuel rail design. The 4th cyl. is the last to get fuel so that explains why it got the most damage.
In the second to last pic, you can see the damage beginning to the 3rd cyl.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
new motor should be in by tomorrow

·
Registered
254 Posts
I would have to say it was the lean condition that caused detonation which in turn, caused your problems.

Do you have an a/f ratio meter? If not, I would strongly suggest getting one. You would have seen the annoying flickering of the A/F gauge, but it would have been RED to warn you of impending doom.

Sounds like you needed an adjustable rising-rate FPR with those cams. That way, you could lean it out slightly at low RPM and make it richer up high.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
believe me, it won't happen again. i do have an a/f ratio gauge, but they really don't work well. i will be getting an egt gauge. also, i have an aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator, billet fuel rail, and apexi super afc. i've had these parts for some time now, just never had time to install them. learned my lesson.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Ouch...sorry that had to happen :( .

I love cars and I hate cars.

I think of all the money I'd probably have if I didn't spend alot of my teenage years (and thus $$$) messing with my '72 Beetle. Still got it in the garage. It's like parking a house (the amount I spent on it) into my garage (that I'm still paying for) :weirdo: .

What's wrong with us?

My wife tells me she's going to bury me in mine.

VW's till I die 8) .

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
WOW :shock:

sorry to see that happened to you

1 - 20 of 49 Posts