Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my 98 1.8t b5 and doing an oil change.What grade of oil should I use.I am buying mobil one but not sure if I should use the 5/30 or 5/40,5/50,0/40?

Dont think car has had synthetic in the past so this is probably fist syn change

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
The VW dealer I'm taking my 98' puts 5-30 Mobil 1 synthetic newer car formula.
You can also use the search function...there is many others here using castrol and some other oils....
Good Luck

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
Dunno what the owner's manual said to use in 1998, but my 2003 manual recommends 5w-40.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
5W-40 is now thought to be best for all model years, if for no other reason than 5W-40s are mostly the ones with VW approvals, IIRC M-1 0W-40 may be the only non-5W-40 with a VW approval. A lot of people think M-1 5W-30 is not as good as the M-1 10W-30.

·
Registered
28,888 Posts
Sharky said:
100 percent Wesson brand canola oil.
And you get that sweet exhaust smell..

Don't laugh too hard,I have seen a car with vegetable oil added.

·
Registered
732 Posts
2 strange factoids:

1) The county where I live (Mendocino, CA) is noted for it's biodiesel production and availability. They use recycled french frying oil and cooking oil. It's amazing to be down at the fishing docks and here comes a fishing boat putting along. Where you would expect to be covered with a nasty diesel cloud you instead get hunger pangs as the smell of McDonalds fries wafts over you! Diesel Jettas abound that are running biodiesel. Smells like a french bakery. Very cool. Actually biodiesel has no nasty pollutants because it has zero sulfur content.

2) In WWII the Germans were chronically low on petroleum oil. They developed carburators for their transport trucks that ran on.... smoke! I remember seeing a film with a couple guys sitting the fenders feeding hay and bits of wood into the engine as the truck cruised along.

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
safetyfast said:
vincheung said:
Canola sounds like a good idea... so the b5 gets less saturated fat per serving... but im running valvoline synpower 5w-40 from www.oil-store.com
Why buy online and pay shipping rather than Advance or Wal-mart?
Never saw 5w-40 at Wally's or Advance. NAPA carries it at $4.29/Qt.

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
if you guys had a 10 or 20 hour road trip ahead of you through Altanta GA in the summer what would you pick, weight wise.
For me, hands down, I'd use 5w-40.

·
Registered
499 Posts
The Swami said:
You can buy Valvoline SynPower 5W-40 from any NAPA Autoparts store. Part#: 996... :thumbup:
Ditto to the Swami :D

I've been using it since 15,000 miles and now have 115,000 miles (chipped btw!)
I did an used oil analysis at 100,000 and the engine was like new. I'd run between 7-9,300 miles on a change. The analysis did note that at the 8100 mile sample my additive package was about depleted.

If you do go Mobil 1 the 0W 40 is the way to go.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.