Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been a cheap bastard lately and Ive bought 2 sets of WalMart "Mack" Floor Jack and Stand sets. Well, 3-4 months after each purchase, the part that holds the handle and the piston for the hydraulic sylinoid breaks. Thats $30 down the drain, TWICE. So, this time Im going to get the right tool. Help me out fellas.

Will only be used for my car
Does't have to be the latest and greatest
Must be low profile to fit under a car thats lowered 2.25"
Would be great if its lightweight

Here's what I have so far.
Craftsman 4000lb capacity low profile Aluminum Jack $199.99

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...=P9&isDataBeanLocked=false&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Craftsman 1.5Ton Aluminum Low-Pro Jack $119.99

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00950240000

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Harbor Freight. Made in Taiwan. :p

$89.99. w00t w00t.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Scuba2001 said:
I guess Im really not sure which one I should go with though. 1.5, or 2 ton? .5ton doesnt seem like its worth the extra $80 though.

Whats your take Sharky?
I'd buy a really good non-aluminum one, personally.

The light weight doesn't matter, at least to me. You aren't running a NASCAR pit crew, and neither am I.

But I WAS the mechanic that installed the engine in STUD BUG, which was actually featured in the "cute car!" VW commercial of yore....

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Scuba2001 said:
Nah, nothing from Harbor Freight for me. :thumbdow:
Have you ever purchased a tool from harbor freight? I have, several, from power tools to air tools to my floor jack, and they've all been 100% solid over years of use. They also have some specialty gear that you're not going to find elsewhere for under 10x the cost. Harbor freight is awesome. Craftsman doesn't make tools, so if you're concerned about where the products are built you'd better check up on where these items are sourced. Having an aluminum jack is a huge plus in my tight garage area.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
I have the one you first linked to. It's been great so far. It's nice being able to get both wheels on one end of the car way up in the air with just a few pumps (low saddle height + central jack point + rapidpump). The effort required is a little higher than other jacks I've used, but I figure that's a tradeoff for the faster action. The only other jack I would consider is the AC Hydraulics unit. It's more expensive and heavier but with an even lower saddle and optional quick-lift pedal. http://www.ultimategarage.com/acjacks.html has details, sometimes you can find 'em for around $225.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
There's a 3 ton, 4" profile jack (21" max height or something) at Costco for $69. Seems like it'd work pretty nice for a shop jack. Probably 100 lbs.-ish. 4" is low enough to fit under the frame rails, but not enough to get under my rear diff.

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
stealthx32 said:
Probably 100 lbs.-ish. 4" is low enough to fit under the frame rails, but not enough to get under my rear diff.
My other jack had a 4" low point and it wasnt low enough. I needed another .5"-1" clearance. I think that the 1st one from HF should work fine. Ill call them up tonight and see how late they are open until.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
i just got that red 4000 lb jack, it is amazing, i dont really care about the capacity as much as the ability to fit under my lowered car

i didn't see the cheaper one at sears, but i would say either would be awesome

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I went over budget with my purchase.

I ended up getting the Craftsman 4000lb Low Profile Aluminum jack. I would have gone to harbor freight, but they are 20 miles from the house and they close at 6. Needed it by tonight so I could work on the car. Anyway... I got the jack, its not too heavy, and its pretty nicely built.

Steve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.