Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure I know what ASR is for and when would I push the button in? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Do you mean ASR? I don't think you have a choice about ABS. ASR is a traction control mechanism that operates at speed, i.e. above 20 mph. The general consensus is that you should turn it on when road surfaces become slippery for any reason. Using it on dry roads can inhibit the fun factor in certain circumstances, and there shouldn't be any need for it.

HTH

Kenny

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Remember though that ASR is on whenever the button is NOT pushed in. When you push the ASR button in, you will see an indicator in the cluster notifying you that the traction control mechanism is NOT engaged. I leave mine on all the time, and only turn it off when I want do do some "spirited" driving.

·
Registered
486 Posts
As Gurft said the ASR is automatically turned on whenever you start your car. Pushing the ASR button turns it off and you'll get that indicator light as gurft mentioned.

VW says to always leave it on except in certain situations like when you have chains on your tires. That's pretty much the only example they give.

·
Registered
277 Posts
i thought that it was useless untill yestuday we had a very bad rain storm and i got a flat tire as i was going into a turn and my car was hydroplating. it was scary but ASR took over and helped me out alot and saved me from crashing into a truck. then later on that day i had another hydroplating incident in which it corrected the car from getting out of control.
from now on i will leave it on every time the weather is bad.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I just had a weird experience. I just got back from watching matrix :nervous: and it's pouring outside and as i went over our stupid bridge here in town the ASR light on my dash came on..... I haven't messed with the asr button at all so from what I read above it was on. So do any of you know why it just turned on as I drove? Does it mean it turned off for a second? or is it a glitch? .... :suspicio:

·
Registered
242 Posts
mypassatb5.5 said:
i thought that it was useless untill yestuday we had a very bad rain storm and i got a flat tire as i was going into a turn and my car was hydroplating. it was scary but ASR took over and helped me out alot and saved me from crashing into a truck. then later on that day i had another hydroplating incident in which it corrected the car from getting out of control.
from now on i will leave it on every time the weather is bad.
Sounds like you are confusing ABS(anti-lock brakes) with ASR(anti-slip regulation). ASR is a form of "traction control" that works at all speeds...if one front wheel is spinning faster due to lack of traction, the engine power is electronically reduced until traction is regained. That will NOT help you in a cornering or braking maneuver. ASR will not help if you are hydroplaning, which simply exceeding the tires' ability to evacuate water from between the tread and the road. In other words you skate right over the water, rather than slice through it with the tread squishing the water out of the way. ASR is not going to help you there if you just go too fast for conditions...although it WILL help you accelerate up to unsafe speeds a little easier :wink: :crazy:

·
Registered
242 Posts
baisee00 said:
I just had a weird experience. I just got back from watching matrix :nervous: and it's pouring outside and as i went over our stupid bridge here in town the ASR light on my dash came on..... I haven't messed with the asr button at all so from what I read above it was on. So do any of you know why it just turned on as I drove? Does it mean it turned off for a second? or is it a glitch? .... :suspicio:
The light stays on when you turn off the ASR...but if you keep ASR on, the light flickers when ASR is actually doing something, in other words keeping your wheels from spinning on that slick bridge surface.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts