Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so i think i've finally decided to get the flic lex 17x8 35mm offset 225/45R17 with bridgestone POTENZA S-03 (225/45R17) tires to replace my existing stock 16s. question: will this sit really high? i dont want to drop my car low because i want it to be practical. i was recommended to get new suspensions that'll drop the car .5. do i need to get actual suspensions, springs, shocks, coil covers...etc. i am new to all this. any help would be appreciated. my goal is a smoother ride with better handling but still drivable normally (hence not to low). thanks!

char

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Well, it's a personal choice, but most of us that have gone to larger rims do lower it for cosmetic purposes -- 17" rims make your car look like an SUV if you leave it at the stock height. Flik Lex's are a bit of a double-whammy, since they actually look bigger than 17" -- they make that effect even worse.

There are a couple of suspension options out there if you want to lower it just a bit: Neuspeed SofSports or H&R OE Sports are a good spring to start with (they'll lower your car about .5" to .75"). It's also usually recommended to upgrade your shocks as well, since the OEM shocks tend to be underdamped for upgraded springs, plus they tend to wear out much quicker when you use an aftermarket spring. Bilstein HD's are generally the shock of choice when you're only lowering just a little bit.

Finally, you can go OEM all the way and get the suspension components that make up the 1BE suspension package (which is the optional sports suspension in Europe), but that tends to be somewhat pricey...

Hope that helps...

Andy

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
AJChenMPH said:
Well, it's a personal choice, but most of us that have gone to larger rims do lower it for cosmetic purposes -- 17" rims make your car look like an SUV if you leave it at the stock height. Flik Lex's are a bit of a double-whammy, since they actually look bigger than 17" -- they make that effect even worse.
It's pretty subjective, but objectively, your clearance will be exactly the same as it was before, so if you're concerned about it actually sitting higher, it won't (remember that the overall tire diameter will be the same). :) Now, if you're worried about it looking higher, that's when all this comes in. Personally, I don't think that my Variant (with 17" Lexes) looks like an SUV, but I'm not one who feels the need to be slammed. :lol:

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think the audi allroad has the same "high" look to it, no? this looks good for your variant. i'll try w/o lowering first. then i'll see if i want to drop it a bit. great pic! i have the same color and ordered the same shoes!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Yeah, the allroad looks pretty high, but I think that its "normal" setting is a slight bit higher than the Passat? In any case, they look higher, but that's hardly definitive. :???:

One other thing I just remembered is that I believe the Variants supposedly already sit a slight bit lower than the sedans (I've heard this cited as the reason why OE and SofSport springs aren't available for us). So the illusion of more wheel gap probably doesn't affect Variants as much as the sedans, so YMMV if you have a sedan. :)

In any case, I really like the look of the Lexes with the Silverstone, I think the anthracite finish is a nice complement. You should be very happy with your new shoes, I know I've been. :thumbup: Here's a higher-res (1280x960) pic, if you're interested. You can see the wheels better. Can critique the wheel gap, too, if you want to obsess. :D

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
That's true, as well. With the anthracite, there's less of a stark contrast between the wheels and the tires, and I think the Silverstone probably also helps; it's all just shades of grey. Now, a chrome wheel on a Candy sedan would probably pretty much require a drop. :D

And thanks, julian. :thumbup: I haven't done as much as most of the rest of you, but for a "mostly-stock" Passat, I think I've done well. Of course, there's not much you can do wrong when you haven't done much. At least I don't have a gigantic cardboard wing on. :lol:

·
Registered
1,396 Posts

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FYI, I found these pix from ER site featuring the lexes. looking good, but I am still waiting for mine.. they are currently out of stock. boohoo....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
ycharlies
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing