Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Outside of the obvious, that being a PES SC... What would you recommend? Here is a brief list of recent mods:

EVOMS cold air kit
GIAC ECU and TIP Chip
2 1/2 inch original RS-6 stainless catback exhaust

Where would additional money be well spent? Are larger injectors worth it in my case? High flow CAT maybe? What do you think?

BTW, mine is a 2002 V6 30V 4-Motion. The car runs strong now but I am constantly searching for more... Damn this B5 addiction! It's the devil :evil: I tell you! (at least the wife thinks so...)

·
Registered
240 Posts
how do you like the rs6 exhaust??? any pics??? i was wondering how much it was and where you got it. thanks a lot, i was thinking about getting this exhaust. does it make a sound difference at all???

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
High-flow cat at this point would probably give you the most bang for the buck.

Port-match the intake manifold and intake ports. And if anyone makes an insulating intake manifold gasket set for the V6, then get one!

Port-match (actually gasket-match) the exhaust manifold.

Larger injectors won't help unless you have the programming to take advantage of them, or have improved the volumetric efficiency to the point where you need them. An adjustable FPR and a lot of VAG-COM data would be necessary to tune any injector changes.

Other little things that make a cumulative advantage - heat shield everything you can think of. Keep the intake air and the fuel as cold as possible - I even have heat-shield material between the injectors and the head.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I second the high-flow cats that Rusty suggested, but I am unsure as to where you could buy the cats. Miltek doesnt make any that I have seen for our v6's. Anyone know where to get their hands on these?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rusty, where can I find such heat sheild material??

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
If you click on the "website" button, it will link you to my car writeup. Under the "heat shielding" section, there are links to every type of heat sheilding that I've used. I use "HeatShield Products" heat-shielding, mainly because that's what's available at the local American V8 "speed shops". The web links I have in my "website" (Mantaray) are kind of expensive, and I've only bought from them when I couldn't get things locally.

You could also try heatshieldproducts.com

There are a couple of other manufacturers but I can't think of their names right now and they don't have as broad of a selection of products.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THANKS Rusty! :bow:

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
glockfan said:
Outside of the obvious, that being a PES SC... What would you recommend? Here is a brief list of recent mods:

Where would additional money be well spent? Are larger injectors worth it in my case? High flow CAT maybe? What do you think?
I think you should get the SC first as you said you were planning the mod this summer. The chip programming will need to change for both TCM and ECU chips... you will get different injectors to match the SC.

Once you get that installed then possibly look into the free flow cats.

After that is finished.. look into being able to stop the beast better!
Simple brake mods can be as easy as putting better brake pads on... but can go in stages: check out http://www.ecstuning.com for price ranges
- A8 rotors/ TT carriers using OEM calipers
- A8 rotors and Porsche calipers
- custom 13" rotors (2pc) rotors and either Porsche boxster or 993 calipers
and the brake mods just go up from there... as will price
(stoptech ..AP racing . willwood etc...)

And of course traction and grip go hand in hand... so upgrading tires to match your braking and cornering will help tremendously!

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
O22Ripper said:
two words - ask Nenad! haha...pick his brain, he is a v6 genius! haha....(sorry Nenad)
Someone called genius?? :wink:

Do the crank pulley (NOT underdriven) www.autospeedperformance.com

Try with adjustable Fuel pressure regulator and set up on 5bars (our OE are 4bars) :D it is much cheaper than to change 6 injectors, typicaly cost like 2-2 1/2 injectors. you can opt for ugly one with gauge on it, from U.K. Co. FSE sold in Germany by www.atb-tuning.de I bought there. Or you can opt for those in US that are MUUUCH nicier and put gauge inside of cabin.

Like guys said -brakes,brakes,brakes

Upper strut bar from Racetek (feat. by SPP and Eric Nareshni)
Front sway 32mm from Autotech
Rear sway 17mm from 1BE VW for B5.5 4Mo

My pink dream now is carbon propshaft (am I crazy??? mad genius?? "..he's alive...he's alive...")

BTW, if you are not dry of money, we just stroke a deal (THE DEAL 8) ) vith EvoMS for PES SC kits for 3600 per person. there are 6 of us and one will go to Germany (to Geri Rischawy, member of CB5 also) Give a call or mail to EvoMS President Tedd Zuccone and maybe you can organize same terms but time delayed.Reffer on us (I dealt with him) we will support you there.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe I will go with Nenad's original suggestion of a fuel pressure regulator and take it from there... That in addition to heat sheilding should hold me over until the funds are available for the PES...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Julian... If I had your money, I'd burn mine! :wink: I would love to get it right away but my wife would boot me out of the house :nervous:

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I'd go for crank pulley. It's said to have the biggest gains after chipping the v6.
I've been thinking of cat's also, and was wondering if universal high flow cats with the sensor bungs on it would trip the CEL. I feel improving the flow of fuel won't improve much until flow of air and exhaust is improved, and the engine is allowed to rev up quicker; after the lightened crank pulley is installed. just my $.02, HTH

1 - 20 of 27 Posts