Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow club B5er's

I just had a close look at the M3 on a used lot. Still not in the market for real, but it was nice to dream. It was 5spd, silver with a sunroof, forged wheels and the M color blazed in the black leather, Ticket price 29 900CDN.

Regards,

Malcolm

·
Registered
864 Posts
Very nice car! Was it a coupe? I know the 4door is very rare, there is one here on my campus. I am not sure what the market for them is in CAnada

·
Registered
752 Posts
The 97 M3 is a great car. Good performance and a daily driver. It has the OBD-2 motor so a little more torque, it is still a great starting point for mods unlike what people used to think. The car is very reliable for what it is, engines go 200k miles with few problems.
Avoid cars that look like they have been track cars before, or that are slammed with lo-pro tires. Make sure the engine runs like a top too, the transmissions are so smooth that they can go into the wrong gear if you are not paying attention and over-rev the engine.

The cars are not great in the winter either. For 29900 CAN is steep, it better be in perfect condition with lower miles.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Probably been beat worse than a red-headed stepchild. Buyer beware on cars like these. I'd run if I wasn't getting some type of inhouse warranty (more than 90 days) and/or service records.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Medrosje said:
Probably been beat worse than a red-headed stepchild. Buyer beware on cars like these. I'd run if I wasn't getting some type of inhouse warranty (more than 90 days) and/or service records.
Actually most are in great condition, just watch for ones that might have been given to daddys little angel. But that goes for all cars. M3's are very durable.

·
Lock and Load
4,040 Posts
yeah, it's a great car. only problem may be the coolant sensor fault ($17), and also check if there is any leaks, cooling system, AC. Engine is reliable. about pricing, sorry I don't know the current price now.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
I've only driven one e36 M3 and it spoiled me. It was a stage III supercharged on race coils. It's rabid personality frightened me.

Just be careful with all the weight up front and all the power in the rear.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Actually many tracked cars are in much better condition then the average 3rd owner (and usually young and abusive) Car. Tracked cars usually have better suspesion mods if any, upgraded RSM's, Tranny Mounts, alignment settings, they've learned if you track one you better run an extra Qt of Oil in her, and dozens of other things you need to keep it working day in an out. Remember when new these cars $40K...they in most cases went to the dealer for most everything. Several Younger owners later that is not always the case. I looked at dozens before I got mine. I flew to Az and drove her home. She orginally came to Atlanta as a Business Lease for 1yr, then the next 7 with one owner in CA, then to the guy I got it from. All dealer records. Last owner did all the Mods, he was/is a NASA Track instructor in Az. These are not VW's, they are made to be Tracked. (and very incouraged to by BMWCCA)

I live in CA, so an OBD1 was an advantage to me. Much simpler over all. And even OBD2 convertered to OBD1 should be taken with a grain of salt. I've read from too many owners that have owned both, in more cases then not they preferered the '95 car overall. They all rock though...just find a good one. Tons of research info is out there like at Bimmerforums in the E36 M3 forums....lots to know about common wear items.

I daily drive mine (70m a day) and love it. A tad stiff for our freeways, it screams though. Vogtland Club Spec Springs with matching Koni SA's, Turner Motorsports Sway Bars and Adjustable Camber Arms, Upgraded SS lines, AA true Cold Air Box (Hood gets "frosty" right over the box on cold mornings!) with Euro 3.5" HFM, Larger Injectors, Software, Gen III Exhaust, Crank Pulley, Hids, Killer Tunes, and just awesome "M" history. About 250rwhp pulling 50/50 3150lbs. Killer Torque, Unreal Topend, Unreal Sound from the Ex at all rpm ranges. Most fun Car I've ever had, great fun to Humble Mustang GT's, WRX's, Evo's. (Close ratio tranny helps, there is no OD unless you install a 6sp)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts