·
Registered
7,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
439 Posts
20vvilllian said:
Most cars already have a box of sorts, like everytime i VAG my car it tells me "WARRANTY VOID ENGINE SPEED EXCEEDED"
Damn you VW!!!... My dealership is a GM offshoot (Saturn) and we have nothing of the sort. I suppose our cars are just retarded.

I don't really have a problem with the "last 15 minute" recording, I can really see how that would be helpful in accident reconstruction and possibly even help keep insurance rates down.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
I could go for it, too, as long as there's no transmitter on it -- i.e., you'd have to pull down the information from the box to use it. It would definitely eliminate a lot of the "he said/she said" in accidents...although I'm becoming increasingly convinced these days that accidents are caused because both drivers were doing something they really shouldn't have been doing...

Andy

G

·
But you know what Andy even if it saved the insurance industry billions in fraud, it still would never have and effect on insurance cost to the individual driver. Thats the worst part insurance is the biggest racket :mad:

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Yeah. Um. I think I'll be converting my car to OBD0...so there won't be a chance I'll have to put up w/ the crap. :p Or maybe just ditch engine electronics completely and run Weber carbs. 8)

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
20vvillian said:
But you know what Andy even if it saved the insurance industry billions in fraud, it still would never have and effect on insurance cost to the individual driver. Thats the worst part insurance is the biggest racket :mad:
Steve, the cynic in me agrees with you. But the MBA in me says if I can reduce my fraud costs to near zero (which cost me somewhere around 30% of my payouts annually), and then I can pass on a 20% discount to the consumer while my competitors try to milk 'em, then I'll get all the business and still earn a bigger profit while my customers save a heck of a lot of money.

By the way, anyone know what fraud is estimated to cost the car insurance industry annually (as a percentage of their payout expenses)? I'm too lazy to look for it...

Andy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.