Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brother that is looking for a used car priced in $3000-$4000 range. He has come across some early model Jettas (1995), but I am not sure if a VW is a good choice b/c of the maintenance issues. Dont want him spending more on service than what he paid for the car. Any suggestions for a reliable car within that price range? Also, he lives in Orlando, anyone know about a dealer he should visit in the Orl/Tampa area?

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
buy my car. :lol:

seriously - the P10 (body style - like 'b5' passats. they were sold in the US from 1991 to 1996) infiniti G20s are wonderful cars. I've got 112k on the clock on mine and its still going strong. leather sport seats, sport suspension, 16" borbet type-bs and a vlsd up front. And infiniti reliability is legendary.

I bought mine for 6500 back when it had 87000 miles on it. now its worth about 4 or 5k.

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
My wife's Jetta III (1995) has 136000 miles on it and it's been solid as a rock. All it needs now is CV joints FOR THE FIRST TIME. We've done the TB once and replaced the power steering reservoir and NOTHING ELSE but wear and tear items. It's been the most dependable car we've ever owned INCLUDING the Accord we had. DUBS FOREVER!!!!

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Is he a new driver? Get him a Civic. :) VWs before the current generation had the absolute lowest safety rating...so it might be "fun", but I'm not sure its a good "learner's car".

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
I'mwith Hotani. Go for a G20t.. 1993. Nice car with all the amenities and reliability you can't say a bad word about. GREAT cars. Kinda mushy in the handling department but who cares if your car handles well on the back of a flatbed?

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
yeah, the 't' is important. Although, unfortunately it does not stand for 'turbo.' Rather, it is a 'touring' package that infiniti often makes available on their cars. In the case of the G20, it includes leather sport seats (although the standard seats are quite nice), limited slip front diff, rear spoiler and a sunroof.

and get a 5 speed!

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
hotani said:
yeah, the 't' is important. Although, unfortunately it does not stand for 'turbo.' Rather, it is a 'touring' package that infiniti often makes available on their cars. In the case of the G20, it includes leather sport seats (although the standard seats are quite nice), limited slip front diff, rear spoiler and a sunroof.

and get a 5 speed!
The 't' also came with fogs stock right? They were an option on the base model or am I mistaken?

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I think, if he is on a limited budget and he's not that interested in looking for something fun or sporty right now (which this sounds like to me) and it needs to be inexpensive to maintain and to hell with looks, having fun or any of that kind of thing. I think a good used Toyota Corolla or Camry is the way to go because I find that when looking around, chances are the younger crowd seems to have owned the Civic's and Accords and they seem to pile miles on them. In just my own un-scientific searching I seem to "generally" find that the older crowd seems to drive Corolla's and Camry's. (I have two Camry's and I'm in my mid 30's so it's just a generalization.)

My mother-in-law was looking for just a little car to beat around in, she already has a Crown Vic and my Father-in-law has a truck but like I said, she just wanted a little beater to drive around and pile miles on inexpensively. A couple of years ago she found a 10 year old Corolla with just 30k miles on it for $3,500 - she's finds the car a bit on the smallish side but for 30 - 40 mile jaunts she's saving a lot of wear and tear on her Crown Vic and her gas mileage and maintenance is very reasonable to her.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
My friend is selling his G20T. Black on black leather. Loaded. 125k. It's a 1993. Never had a problem. the car is immaculate. It's tinted and has an aftermarket cd in dash and a couple of subs. I think he wants $4,300. It's in upstate NY. He wants to get a truck so he's selling it.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Sullie said:
I think, if he is on a limited budget and he's not that interested in looking for something fun or sporty right now (which this sounds like to me) and it needs to be inexpensive to maintain and to hell with looks, having fun or any of that kind of thing. I think a good used Toyota Corolla or Camry is the way to go because I find that when looking around, chances are the younger crowd seems to have owned the Civic's and Accords and they seem to pile miles on them. In just my own un-scientific searching I seem to "generally" find that the older crowd seems to drive Corolla's and Camry's. (I have two Camry's and I'm in my mid 30's so it's just a generalization.)

My mother-in-law was looking for just a little car to beat around in, she already has a Crown Vic and my Father-in-law has a truck but like I said, she just wanted a little beater to drive around and pile miles on inexpensively. A couple of years ago she found a 10 year old Corolla with just 30k miles on it for $3,500 - she's finds the car a bit on the smallish side but for 30 - 40 mile jaunts she's saving a lot of wear and tear on her Crown Vic and her gas mileage and maintenance is very reasonable to her.

Just a thought.
I have to agree with Sullie. a Corolla or Camry, would probably be me first choice.

Great reliability, and saftey.

Also sullie I fully agree, about the corolla and camry have lower prices. My GF was looking for a small car. We started looking at Civics, they wre far more pricey then the Corolla's. Her Corolla has been great.

-Nick

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
9 Participants
TAckhouse1
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing