Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer is selling 5L bottles for $35 including the filter and it meets 505.01 specs. I'm sure I can find it locally or on-line for cheaper. Just wondering if anyone else is running the Motul 5W-40. Looking for something I can run in both my car and my wife's TDI so I don't have to keep two kinds of oil around. :)

Thanks dudes and dudettes...
-Mark

·
Registered
9 Posts
MOTUL

I think the high grade oil is for the longlife service interval, and you can probebly use any kinda oil if you just change it every year or 15000KM

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Hmm. No bites??
Probably too many oil threads to keep up with. :wink:

In short, if it meets the certifications listed in your manual and the climate it will be operating in (see manual for a chart) then it is as good as it gets.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Hey Mark!

While I'm a Moble 1 nut, Motul is a very respected name mostly in Bikes. I would have no problem using it, they have a long history of quality lubes.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
A 5W-40, 100% G-IV PAO synthetic, ACEA A3, VW 502 and 505, Plus M-B, BMW, Porsche, and Opel approvals, and API SL...no one can beat the 'checklist' on this oil.

I've been using it for about 4K miles, and it seems really good.

$35 for a 5l bottle...where did you order it????!!!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Who knows if it's better? But since I'm doing my own changes now, I like the fact that the label on the back meets every criterion in the Bentley. I peel off the labels and stick them on a sheet of paper, and file them away for the day I get challenged at the service counter. There's no way they'll be able to argue with this oil....Mmuahahahaha!

The only thing I note objectively about the Pentosin I've seen advertise on the web is it's still listed as API SJ, not SL. Maybe they are selling SL now but haven't updated the web pages?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts