Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going back to CA in may after school, and I am keeping my car in Public Storage for 2 months. WHAT DO YOU GUYS RECOMEND THAT I DO BEFORE/AFTER I PUT IT IN THERE? I have 18's on 225/40/18, should I take out a little air from the tires, or leave the preasure alone?

I was thinking BEFORE:
- PRAY TO JESUS NO ONE STEALS MY BABY! :nervous:
-Turn off power to my amps/subs
- Oil change (or does this not even matter before storage?)
-Clean EVERYTHING
-Cover chrome rims w/ garbage bags (?)
-Should I keep the windows cracked or closed? :???:

I was thinking AFTER:
-Oil change
-check fluids
-Reconnect everything

Does this sound alright/ is something wrong/ what more should I do?
Thanks in advance for ideas!
-Ryan :D

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
If it's only 2 months you can leave the fluids. Leave as little gas in there as possible and put in something to keep the wated condensation to a minimum. Clean the holy crap out of EVERYTHING. Disconnect the battery. Roll the windows up. Put the car up on jackstands. Put on a good car cover.

After, bring a couple gallons of gas with you to get you to a gas station. Take off car cover. Take car off jack stands. Put new gas in tank. Reconnect battery. Open doors. Febreeze the holy shit out of the interior. Drive away.

:D

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
sounds good to me. everything i could have thought of. maybe if there will be lights or sunlight at all get one of those solar trickle chargers to make sure ur battery doesn't die, cause that causes lots of problems with starting the car and radio and stuff

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I was thinking BEFORE:
- PRAY TO JESUS NO ONE STEALS MY BABY!
-You should always be doing this :nervous:
-Turn off power to my amps/subs
Disconnect them, or take them out.
- Oil change (or does this not even matter before storage?)
Depends on your last oil change. If your last one was a few months ago, you should be ok. Just change it afterwards i think.
-Clean EVERYTHING
Clean it anyway
-Cover chrome rims w/ garbage bags (?)
If you got wheel locks, I wouldn't worry about it. Garbage bags aren't going to do much.
-Should I keep the windows cracked or closed?
I'd say leave them closed, probably doesn't even matter.[/quote]

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
VWPassat8 said:
-Should I keep the windows cracked or closed?
I'd say leave them closed, probably doesn't even matter.

It does if you don't want rats eating the interior and shitting all over the place and an interior that smells like rat urine.

Ask me how I know. :nervous:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JDeer0618 said:
You could bring it to me and I will take care of it for you. :lol:
Yeah thats what my friend said, and then I looked at the big sinister grin on his face....NO THANKS!!! :suspicio:

Thanks for all the responses, but here arew some mo fo ya! :roll:

When I disconnect the battery, should I turn off the amps first? how do i do it (pos, then neg wire?)

Can I get a ok car cover at like pepboys or something? (don't want an expensive one.)

Will my tires be ok sitting there for 2 months? I don't have jacks. :(

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
quality_sound said:
Febreeze the holy shit out of the interior. :D
:lol:
2 months inst that bad, just do as everyone said and it should be fine.
I wouldnt worry about taking the rims off if you are the only person with the key to the storage place (other then the manager).

·
Registered
82 Posts
there are two things that concern me when i leave my other car for long peroids of time.
Disconnect battery and remove it fron the car
wax car and crome

warning: check if disconnecting the battery will cause the ecu to have to be re-programmed I have herd of this before but not toatly sure. ( I know the car will run pretty ugly for the firs 20 miles or so as the ecu "learns" the car again)

I am always worryied about current running through the wires and acid leak. just for safty I always take out the battery. This will also keep from having a dead battery when you return

I would also wax the car and especially the chrome rims. some self storage places are climate controled but they all tend to be damp. I would wax and bag!

Wax On, Wax Off, Wax On, Wax Off. :lol:

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
rollininstyle2004 said:
quality_sound said:
Febreeze the holy shit out of the interior. :D
:lol:
2 months inst that bad, just do as everyone said and it should be fine.
I wouldnt worry about taking the rims off if you are the only person with the key to the storage place (other then the manager).

I agree it may be overkill, but you never know what a college kid has decaying in his car. :suspicio:

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Definitely disconnect the battery, leave the windows closed, yea - trashbaggin the wheels sound good to protect them from anything...Fluids should be ok, little gas as possible.

Here's an idea - not sure if it is a good one or not (please comment): Disconnect ECU and lock it in the trunk? Would this mess with anything when reinstalled?

When you get back, check pressure, fluid, fabreeze it, unveil it...and do the ECU chip install directions, key ON door open for 5 min, etc.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where is the ECU? :???:

Does it matter which one I diconnect from the battery first?(pos/neg) *Last time I changed my battery I lost most of my AM/FM reception.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
You don't HAVE to jack the car up, but I've seen cars sitting for less than a month end up with tires that are out of round. I'd spend the $40 for some at wally world. A decent car cover should be flannel lined. If you can find one at pep boys or something that would be great.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
y disconnect the battery, this will only cause more problems, right? you should loose radio codes, so now you need to go to dealership, i believe to reactivate, and doesn't the anti-theft thing make the car unstartable until the car is seen by the dealerhsip if the battery dies :???:

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
jeffsu350 said:
y disconnect the battery, this will only cause more problems, right? you should loose radio codes, so now you need to go to dealership, i believe to reactivate, and doesn't the anti-theft thing make the car unstartable until the car is seen by the dealerhsip if the battery dies :???:

Disconnecting the battry shouldn't hurt anything. If you don't have the radio code the dealer will provide it for free (it says so in the manual) and the car will start fine or every time some left their lights on or their battery wore out they have to have it towed to the dealer. Disconnecting the battery is a good thing. You can disconnect either terminal first since the circuit will be open either way. I usually do the negative first though. Habit I guess.

I'd probably do close to the max allowable tire pressure for you tires. That way if they do leak at all they won't go out of round and if it get's really hot they're still in within their design limits.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I would NOT cover the wheels. You trap condensation in the garbage bags. I would wax the wheels.

I would just add air to the tires. Thats what VW does on the boat ride over. Something like 45 psi. You add air to keep the tires from taking a set.

For 2 months, I wouldn't worry about taking out the battery. VW doesn't on the boat ride over. If you have power available, get one of those float chargers to maintain the battery.

I would make a modestly long drive (10 minutes or so) before storage to drive moisture out of the oil sump and exhaust. (Just don't drive it a couple of miles and park it).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts