Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well with Keith putting the thought in my head, instead of building my 00' fwd v6 tip Passat into a " sporty racer ", I should pick up the A4 1.8t tiptronic Quatro n turn that into my build. With what I want out of the motor department ( POWER) the awd is a must since I'm fwd & tiptronic. No Quiafe for auto. That sucks. But, for $500 I think I'd be stupid not to turn that into project. The guy with the Audi bought it because he owns same car but banged in his front end. He bought this car for $1000 because of the blown motor n stripped front face off with hood. That's all he needed. Only pain is at the moment he misplaced the title. Using only as parts car he never even signed it to get registered. So if he can't find it things can get fustrating. I'd have to meet up with the previous owner n hopefully get him to sign DMV paperwork for new title n have the new 1 come in my name. This happened with my Cruisers Inc. Sea Devil Cruise. I should know by Wednesday if he found or lost title. But, I don't think I should let it be deal breaker since I'm not planning on putting on road till Summerish. I'd like to go through car head to toe n build new engine instead of just buying used 1 n dropping in. Also would be best time to swap out tip for a manual. Any1 else out there been in this situation? What did u do?

·
Registered
61 Posts
the 5 speed swap isnt that bad. i did mine over winter break, but im still working out kinks.. an engine build isnt hard. its just a little costly. lost title can be a pain tho. if you get the title without paying 2 much i would do it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kinks r u having? That rwd looks cools if it works to ur benefit. If for lightening ur ride it's not worth in my opinion. Not dropping that much. But, for u n what ur end results need to be, it might be the best mod since sliced bread. What r u driving?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Building the motor is definitely more $ but it's exactly wat u want from the engine n with only 64k on the rest of the car, I think it's the best road to go. Original motor might even be repairable with a solid block n I can put in new internals, bigger turbos, etc. Going to take a while so the title thing might not be as much of a pain in the ass. Can't jump in n ride it u know? What do u think?

·
Registered
61 Posts
What kinks r u having? That rwd looks cools if it works to ur benefit. If for lightening ur ride it's not worth in my opinion. Not dropping that much. But, for u n what ur end results need to be, it might be the best mod since sliced bread. What r u driving?
its not really issues from the transmission, just sensor and brake issues

and the rwd conversion wasnt for weight reduction, i want to do it for drift/ fun reasons lol

·
Registered
61 Posts
lol, i was part searching so i could rebuild one of my aebs and found this site fcpeuro.com you can do a full rebuild for 200-300. so not such a bad price.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got have till wait till tomorrow for this guy to get time to look for the title. The wait is killing me. I want to pay him n take it right now but then he might not b inclined to look for title.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I saved that site nice find. I'm new to VW/Audi n am lost with all the abbreviations. What is aebs? I've always drove Chevys n 1 maxima. 1st time being active on a forum as well so always learning

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got to ask. How is it driving a 1.8liter car? Every car I've owned besides the 6 cylinder maxima was a 350ci. to 454ci. big blocks. All from 400hp n 450tq. n up. Besides gas ( no brainier n I got to be honest that 3.0 Nissan motor is an animal) I'm sooo curious how it feels driving a 4 cell. Maybe the 4 cylinder with 300-350 hp-tq feels the same, not being funny or anything. I know when I put the pedal to the floor with 450tq n up, if some1 was not ready u could snap their neck. The power was just that noticeable. Can u answer this ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All my experience is also with NA motors. Noob here yes but with that being said, I can state for a fact u CANNOT have ur cake n eat it 2. With gas out of control it KILLED the fun factor. Watching that needle drop simultaneous drops ur stomach. Shit even on my Softail with S&S 113ci. 115hp 125tq ( NA ), fun factor decreased. We would drive from head to tail n back (long island, looks like a fish) with about $20 in gas. So, hoping driving a 4cyl that can act like an 8cyl will bring back some of the "good old days"
Shit I bought a turbo for my 78' XS400E I'm doing ground up build on right now in garage. Piping it out all in copper. But, I have ALOT of learning to do with turbos n their components

·
Registered
61 Posts
a 1.8.... compared to my buddies 454.. is sad. stock you will wait and check you watch before you hit 60 mph.. that said they arent the slowest 4 cylinders ive driven, and they can be tuned to make quite a bit of hp and tq. mine isnt tuned so idk how it would be. and your softail sounds about like my sportster(it aint stock.. haha)

·
Wants to be TheFlipperGray
7,322 Posts
REDMAN, I c u lurking in hear, talk to me. Lol
I'm here Jimbo ;)

Provided the owner has the title, I say go for it. An AWD turbocharged car is a MUCH easier platform to mod on. I picked up a B6 A4 1.8TQ 5MT when my FWD V6 Auto B5 Passat was totalled by a tractor trailer. So I'm taking advantage of the new platform. I have a GT2871r build planned to run around 300awhp at ~20psi until I drop in rods and add water/meth. But this is my DD, so I'm not going too crazy. As for a project, I suppose it depends how deep your pockets are and what HP goals you're hoping to achieve.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts