Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, since I'm about to get a new one. Please specify Brand, MP, etc. Sample pictures would be cool too.

·
Confused
3,564 Posts
Sony Cybershot DSC-P31......This has been pretty good and cheap for the last two years. Unfortunately on our trip to Japan this January, the light sensitivity "sensor" has been having trouble with varying lighting conditions. My pictures don't come out with the right apeture setting....it's either too dark or too light. The camera is only 2.0 MP, so I think it's time for an upgrade anyways. Besides, I bought the unit for unit with a 64MB Memory Stick, a USB Card Reader, and rechargable batteries for under $200. Not bad for two good years and 1500 pictures later.

This time round, I'm thinking either looking at a Panasonic Lumix FZ10 (4.0MP, 12X Zoom, Leica Lens, etc) for $600 or going all the way for a Nikon D70 (6.3MP, 18-70mm ED Nikor Lens, Digital SLR, etc...) for $1300. My fiance is willing to go for the SLR since we might have my dad be a second photographer with the D70 at the wedding. :lol:

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have a Sony DSC-S85. I have had it for 3 years. It is gargantuan (kb vol2) and I am looking at a smaller one that fits in my poket. The Canon Powershot is nice, 4mp. Their newest one, Cannon Powershot s500 is really nice, 5 mp. $500. Also, I went to circuitcity the other day and saw the Sony DSC-T1. The thing is tiny but not really that great for a sunny day, because you can't see throught the viewfinder. That is 5 mp, too.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Canon G2 4.0 Megapixel. Larger, but can take wide angle and telephoto lenses.

Has a nice flip out rotatable view screen like a camcorder. Real nice pics....can be used like a fully manual or automatic camera.

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
Against almost everyones advice here at CB5 I went and bought a DSC U30 last year. I just wanted it as a pocket camera (it weighs 1/3 of what the Cannon Elph weighs) for vacations, fishing etc.

I love this freakin' thing so much I bring it everywhere. For a tiny $200 camera it's blown me away on the photo quality. It's just a 2meg but the pics are great for web use. The batterys last forever (about 250 pictures) and they are AAA, so you can use alkalines in a pinch if you need to. The only thing I really miss is the lack of zoom due to the size. I guess the new Sony DSC-T1 has that and isn't much bigger.

my .02

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Canon A70 3.2MP. Redeemed AMEX Rewards Points so I got it for free. I like it a lot, since I only really use it for snapshots and whatnot. I still figure that if I really need a really good high-res shot, my old Nikon N8008 loaded with Kodak Gold III 100 film is still the way to go.

Andy

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everybody :thumbup: . I was thinkin about getting the A70 ^^ or Sony P52, since i don't have spare cash (hungry college student) for anything more. Or maybe the A60, though its only 2 mp. Anyone have experience with these?

BTW baisee, nice pics :thumbup:

·
wishin
3,664 Posts
Tyrannosaurus said:
Canon G2 4.0 Megapixel. Larger, but can take wide angle and telephoto lenses.

Has a nice flip out rotatable view screen like a camcorder. Real nice pics....can be used like a fully manual or automatic camera.
^^^ what he said :D We got our G2 when they first came out...can't believe how much they've come down in price :cry: But the positive is we've been able to enjoy ours all these years (as opposed to waiting for the price to come down).

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
i used to use my stupid camera phone . . took ok ish quality pics in 640x480 . .

i just got my ghetto costco camera phone (100 bucks or so) working and it takes em around 2 MP

·
Rogue Assassin
2,977 Posts
An Olympus Camedia C-5060WZ. Love it. Feature-laden, but they're all easily accessible. 5 megapixel, all the features I could want -- short of an SLR -- and just the right size for my big mitts -- not too small, but much more compact than an SLR, so I don't feel like I'm toting an anchor.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
We have a Fuji FinePIX 1400, 1.3MP. For a 1.3MP camera, with a 3x optical zoom, it takes great pics. About a year ago, it was functionally replace by a Minolta Dimage 7i. 5MP, great camera, but not a small footprint. Lots of options, about as high as you can go before you make the jump to a digital SLR. We've used some Canon and Kodak digicams, and were surprised at the fact that both the Fuji and the Minolta had noticably better visual resolution on prints than the Canon and Kodak, even though they had equivalent or higher MP.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Sony DSC-F717.

Kinda bulky but I wanted the long lens; has a lot of nifty features. The best part of all is that I could pop the memory stick into the Sony Trinitron in the family room and enjoy the pictures on the TV.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Canon IXUS V3, 3.2MP, only 2x optical zoom but records movies at 640x480 with audio.
Great little camera - excellent point and shoot pics.
This is the first picture I took when I got the camera!
Click on image for original hires pic

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
About this Discussion
45 Replies
40 Participants
ROXYB5
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing