Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
11461 - 11480 of 11530 Posts

· PassatWorld Elder
8,467 Posts
Put our Passat up on the lift today to get a look at the engine mounts, as I noticed it was rocking way too much during gear changes. I had already ordered a new snub nose mount (figured it couldn't hurt), but once I got a look underneath I found that at least the left one of the 034 Density Line motor mounts that I installed 60k miles ago (now at 132k miles) had broken. Oh, and yeah, the snub nose mount was worn, too.
View attachment 108131

I also discovered why the BRAKE warning would pop up every now and then and I had to add fluid...the RF brake caliper has a slight leak. This was another one of the set from a complete brake refresh kit from Powerstop I installed a couple of years back. Given that I have replaced both rear calipers again since then, I am very disappointed in the durability of these Powerstop rebuilt calipers and won't be using them again.
View attachment 108132
I really like that lift.

Reactions: VAGguy and khnitz

· Registered
180 Posts
Front Right brake caliper has been replaced. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to finish bleeding it, as I have other vehicles parked under the Passat while the snow is coming down outside tonight.

The leaky Powerstop caliper (2.75 years installed, and only about 12k miles on it):
Helmet Jaw Headgear Motor vehicle Wood

Replacement Duralast caliper:
Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Vehicle brake

The engine mounts won't arrive until next week.

· Registered
132 Posts
Front Right brake caliper has been replaced. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to finish bleeding it, as I have other vehicles parked under the Passat while the snow is coming down outside tonight.

The leaky Powerstop caliper (2.75 years installed, and only about 12k miles on it):
View attachment 108134

Replacement Duralast caliper:
View attachment 108135

The engine mounts won't arrive until next week.
Wow, that Powerstop caliper looks pretty rough for less than three years old.

· One Punch Man
207 Posts
I'm about to do a transmission service on my 2002 Passat 4Motion V6. I understand that the vehicle has to be level when I do this, and as usual I'm probably over-thinking the job. I have done the job before with good results, but just took my level along the rocker panels between the jack-stands and figured that was close enough.

Is there a specific place on the transmission itself where one could take the level measurement from, just in case there is a broken mounting point or shifted mount bolts?.

I'm considering just using a spirit level along the mating surfaces of the transmission pan where the pan bolts live after doing a bit of wire brushing and cleanup. I figure that method may be better than is even needed.

...See?...Over-thinking a simple job as usual.

· Registered
23 Posts
Bought a 2001 Passat 4moition for $1500. A coolant hose popped off on the way home so it was fun getting it here without the proper tools. I should have known better. Plan to get the coolant system flushed tomorrow. Take it to Autozone to test the charging system. Change the oil. Clean it and hit oxidized paint with compound and wax. 150,000 miles, so hope to get a couple of years out of it. Bought for a friend but I’ll be working on it. I had a BMW E46 before my current company car.

· Registered
891 Posts
I'm about to do a transmission service on my 2002 Passat 4Motion V6. I understand that the vehicle has to be level when I do this, and as usual I'm probably over-thinking the job. I have done the job before with good results, but just took my level along the rocker panels between the jack-stands and figured that was close enough.

Is there a specific place on the transmission itself where one could take the level measurement from, just in case there is a broken mounting point or shifted mount bolts?.

I'm considering just using a spirit level along the mating surfaces of the transmission pan where the pan bolts live after doing a bit of wire brushing and cleanup. I figure that method may be better than is even needed.

Yeah, you're over-thinking it. "Car is reasonably level" is level enough.

· Registered
23 Posts
It ran great after the coolant flush. Temp stayed steady. Took it to Autozone and had them check the battery/alternator and got good news. That's not on the to do list. Got it washed and started buffing out oxidation. Oil didn't get done today.

Have the big clunk when first accelerating so have torque mounting bushings on the way.

No lights on the instrument cluster. Any ideas on that?

· Registered
1,241 Posts

I just used my level on the open door rocker... didn't seem to have an issue.

· Registered
1,241 Posts
Rear Subframe, most bushings, rear control arms, diff seals and prop shaft output seals all done...

Out with the old...
Wheel Leg Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Seals...
Wood Road surface Floor Asphalt Flooring

In with the new...

Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Tread Tire

Outerwear Tire Hood Automotive tire Tread

No, that's not me: I dont' have a lift so I had to get it done in a shop I trust...

But, it turns out the upper control arms were that rusted that they split with the new bushings.. I just received 'new' ones from New Mexico and they are practically new with no rust!
Automotive tire Wood Trunk Tree Woody plant

At the moment, there's some body work as the floor under the passenger seat is rotted, and the front of the rocker on the driver's side is bad as well (oh, surprise!). Just waiting for a quote on that work...

• Wow
Reactions: khnitz

· Registered
1,241 Posts
You put those filthy parts into the new rear sub-frame?
Tisk tisk Rob.
It was a messy slushy day on the drive over! Any I will be cleaning up the new upper control arms before installation... But now I want the matching lower rear control arms... they are so rust free... not sure, but I think this is becoming an adiction...

· Registered
26 Posts
i have removed all wheels to make a decent deep clean, and wash the car too... now its all shining! oil change too, and clean all eletronic conectors, after the oil change the engine run more smoth and stoped the bangs between the gears change and decelerations... but this i dont like, because this pop-pop-pop is a musk to me, now im in anxiety to the new oil become dirt and the pops return to engine... :ROFLMAO::LOL:

· PassatWorld Elder
8,467 Posts
Google oil leak after oil change and a VW article pops up. Same thing happened to my neglected BMW. New oil goes in and detergents break down the scabs holding everything together.
If sludged oil is holding things together, you've got some other pressing issues at hand that should probably get addressed.

· If I See a Problem I Tell Someone
688 Posts
Google oil leak after oil change and a VW article pops up. Same thing happened to my neglected BMW. New oil goes in and detergents break down the scabs holding everything together.
If sludged oil is holding things together, you've got some other pressing issues at hand that should probably get addressed.
That's what I was attempting to get at in my round-about question.

11461 - 11480 of 11530 Posts