Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
11061 - 11070 of 11070 Posts

·
Registered
28,957 Posts
It had 57K when we bought it for him in 2016. He worked from home for several years after that. They have a newer X3 that they prefer to drive as his wife can't drive a manual trans car.

·
Registered
7,728 Posts
About 4 months ago I bought brand new Cover Craft car cover for the Pacific Blue W8. Spent in excess of $500 for the cover as it was specifically rated for direct sunlight and high UV protection. What a joke.
This is what it looked like when I pulled the cover off this morning. The car cover is almost completely disintegrated and left this very fine light baby powder like dust all over the vehicle.
It actually looks much worse in person as the picture shows a lot of reflections.
After the sun goes down I'll go wash the car and see how much damage to the paint there is.
I'm guessing a color correction will be in order.
Just goes to show that nothing survives the sun out here in the desert. What a waste of my money. Fortunately, my days of apartment living are now over.
Inside storage from now on.
Car Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Land vehicle
Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Car

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
About 4 months ago I bought brand new Cover Craft car cover for the Pacific Blue W8. Spent in excess of $500 for the cover as it was specifically rated for direct sunlight and high UV protection. What a joke.
This is what it looked like when I pulled the cover off this morning. The car cover is almost completely disintegrated and left this very fine light baby powder like dust all over the vehicle.
It actually looks much worse in person as the picture shows a lot of reflections.
After the sun goes down I'll go wash the car and see how much damage to the paint there is.
Just goes to show that nothing survives the sun out here in the desert. What a waste of my money. Fortunately, my days of apartment living are now over.
View attachment 106536 View attachment 106537
Well, Covercraft includes a 4-year warranty. Good luck with them, and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
127 Posts
View attachment 106536 View attachment 106537
Ouch!! That’s crazy! Hopefully most of it will wash off….

·
Registered
104 Posts
Brought our 2005 in for timing belt service. Was told and saw the radiator was leaking so that's being replaced too. Also, replacing the 2 pinch bolts for the upper control arms.

On top of that, was told the passenger side of the "upper" oil pan is leaking oil... From what I was told, it's all labor and replacing a silicone gasket and will cost about 900 dollars after tax... Going to leave that for a while..

·
Registered
38 Posts
As an experiment in gambling, I filled my tank with Amoco "regular" gas at 87 octane, as opposed to the usual 93 octane premium. It ran fine. I filled it again, this time with Costco "regular". It's still running fine.

Maybe it's just that summer blend is superior to winter blend. I don't know.

Until I notice some sort of deficiency in performance, I'm going with Regular.

oh, and by the way, my WD-40 straw "improvised vacuum jumper" from earlier posting is still working fine.

·
Registered
Blue 2020 Passat
62 Posts
As an experiment in gambling, I filled my tank with Amoco "regular" gas at 87 octane, as opposed to the usual 93 octane premium. It ran fine. I filled it again, this time with Costco "regular". It's still running fine.

Maybe it's just that summer blend is superior to winter blend. I don't know.

Until I notice some sort of deficiency in performance, I'm going with Regular.

oh, and by the way, my WD-40 straw "improvised vacuum jumper" from earlier posting is still working fine.
I never noticed a difference with my '02 Passat Wagon between premium and regular fuel.

11061 - 11070 of 11070 Posts