Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
11021 - 11040 of 11070 Posts

·
Registered
7,728 Posts
Getting tired of needing constant repair work on the doors myself. Within days of replacing the window regulator on my 98 GLS, one my other Passat's the passenger's side window regulator went kaput. Seriously thinking of making those clamp clips that secure the window to the track mechanism out of aluminum. Another one of my too little to late ideas. However, for those of us that refuse to give up on the B5 / B5.5 platform, well, that just might be worthwhile.

Reactions: cchief22 and khnitz

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,103 Posts
Getting tired of needing constant repair work on the doors myself. Within days of replacing the window regulator on my 98 GLS, one my other Passat's the passenger's side window regulator went kaput. Seriously thinking of making those clamp clips that secure the window to the track mechanism out of aluminum. Another one of my too little to late ideas. However, for those of us that refuse to give up on the B5 / B5.5 platform, well, that just might be worthwhile.
Seriously, start looking on aliexpress and buy a bunch. I found a lot of b5/5.5 stuff on there. They had the B5.5/Lingyu until about 2011 in China.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Finally received the correct hood insulation from Latvia - the first one was too wide and didn’t have the holes in the right spot: this one is perfect

Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discovered that Centric brand bearings are crap. Had to go back and buy Timken Bearings at 6X the cost, but I hope they’re better.
When I first put them in, the wheels were tight. After 300 km, the mechanic said he could not align the wheels with the bearing play present - he showed me and yes, you could wiggle the wheel! Cripes… $250 later… but at least I’ll get some back from warranty - and I learned about bearings on cheap ones as I wrecked the first set

Motor vehicle Hood Wood Line Font

• Sad
Reactions: PZ

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Care to share the link? Do you notice a reduction in noise in the cabin?
It’s just in eBay - The seller is krparts from Latvia. I couldn’t recommend him enough. He made sure I got what I paid for

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,103 Posts
Discovered that Centric brand bearings are crap. Had to go back and buy Timken Bearings at 6X the cost, but I hope they’re better.
When I first put them in, the wheels were tight. After 300 km, the mechanic said he could not align the wheels with the bearing play present - he showed me and yes, you could wiggle the wheel! Cripes… $250 later… but at least I’ll get some back from warranty - and I learned about bearings on cheap ones as I wrecked the first set

View attachment 106414
I've got F.A.G. bearings in my front hubs. 140K and no issues so far.

·
Registered
7,728 Posts
Timkins are actually F. A. G. bearings - made in Canada, so of course they’re good lol
Hmm, not sure about that one.
Schaeffler Group has the INA and F.A.G. bearing brand under their umbrella.

Timken is its own deal with a few subsidiaries like Latrobe Steel.

Reactions: VAGguy

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,103 Posts
Hmm, not sure about that one.
Schaeffler Group has the INA and F.A.G. bearing brand under their umbrella.

Timken is its own deal with a few subsidiaries like Latrobe Steel.
This is true. I had to verify myself.

About ***
*** (Fischers Aktien-Gesellschaft) was founded in Germany in 1883 after Friedrich Fischer designed the ball grinder. The machine allowed steel balls to be ground to an absolutely round state for the first time. *** bearings have been used in cars since they were invented. They are an OE supplier for every car manufacturer on the planet, including Audi, BMW, Porsche, and VW.
Today *** is a division of the Schaeffler Group, which also includes INA's and LuK full line of OE and OEM components for your European vehicle.

Reactions: khnitz

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
This is true. I had to verify myself.

About ***
* (Fischers Aktien-Gesellschaft) was founded in Germany in 1883 after Friedrich Fischer designed the ball grinder. The machine allowed steel balls to be ground to an absolutely round state for the first time. *https://www.fcpeuro.com/***-parts bearings have been used in cars since they were invented. They are an OE supplier for every car manufacturer on the planet, including Audi, BMW, Porsche, and VW.
Today *** is a division of the Schaeffler Group, which also includes INA's and LuK full line of OE and OEM components for your European vehicle.
Well, maybe RockAuto used the wrong image? See above

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,103 Posts
Well, maybe RockAuto used the wrong image? See above
The Timkens do indeed show those three letters on them verified from other sources. Maybe they use F.A.G. inner races. Dunno.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Trying to install a subwoofer in the spare tire well of our wagon...I have questions here:

As for what we did on it today, I added some R134a for the summer (along with some UV dye). This is the first time I've had to add refrigerant in the 8yrs we've owned the wagon. Hmmm... AC is blowing cold at <50deg F, now.

·
Registered
7,728 Posts
Trying to install a subwoofer in the spare tire well of our wagon...I have questions here:

As for what we did on it today, I added some R134a for the summer (along with some UV dye). This is the first time I've had to add refrigerant in the 8yrs we've owned the wagon. Hmmm... AC is blowing cold at <50deg F, now.
Wanna fix mine. My 98 GLS is without air. Pretty toasty in the car at the end of the work day. 106° outside right now. Probably 150° inside the car. 😰

• Wow
Reactions: khnitz

·
Registered
7,728 Posts
Last year, pretty sure it was anyway, I was going home from work and I got hit with a some gravel coming off a truck. I saw it coming right at me but an evasive maneuver was out of the question as I was in heavy traffic. I heard the rock hit the car, within seconds the air started blowing hot out the vents. Seeing it was late in the year when it happened I figured, meh, I've got all 'winter' long to get that fixed. Yeah well, here I am with triple digit heat occurring regularly I'm still without a/c. :unsure:
It's an easy fix, remove the plastic bumper cover and bumper, swap out the damaged condenser and get the a/c recharged. Just having trouble finding the time. This whole life thing, always getting in the way of forward progress. :p

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,103 Posts
I need to get off my butt, grab a set of gauges, and recharge mine. Year 2 without air, but I only drive it about once a week. Hey, it took my 5 years to replace the windshield I cracked :LOL:.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Have you ever broken something, and thought I should stop now.
Well that didn't happen. So I was fixing my headliner, and getting the proper grey rear view and parts installed on the wagon. While getting the very stuck tan mirror off, I scattered my windshield. Well I tried not to let it bother me. Then it escalated extremely quickly and before I knew it, I destroyed my shifter, ash tray, and the center console piece that holds them. 😡
Luckily I have an entire setup to use, but still.

11021 - 11040 of 11070 Posts