Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
10721 - 10735 of 10735 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Replaced the ABS control module on my 5spd wagon. It had a laundry list of error codes and some of them even mentioned the ABS system. I had a spare sitting around but had to code it to manual since it must have come on an automatic from the bone yard.

Now I just need to fix the driver door lock mechanism and there will be no more gremlins on that car. It still needs a suspension refresh but I don't know if I'm going to keep it long enough to make that worth the effort. And I still get an 'open circuit' code on the radio antenna even though the radio works fine. I think I'll just ignore that one.....

·
Registered
2001 Passat GLX 4Motion V6
135 Posts
The software can downloaded for free. The way I see it, they are now charging $99 for the LITE version to be activated.
I can't say exactly how this works as I don't use it.

The HEX-V2 has (2) options:
$199 for 3 VIN numbers (only allows use on up to 3 vehicles)
$299 for 10 VIN numbers (only allows use on up to 10 vehicles)
Works on all VAG vehicles from 1995 up to current production.
The part that plugs into the OBDII port acts as the dongle to limit or allow the features in the software.

The HEX-NET has (1) option:
$449 for 10 VIN numbers (only allows use on up to 10 vehicles)
The part that plugs into the OBDII port acts as the dongle to limit or allow the features in the software.
Has Wi-Fi and is compatible with tablets, Android and Apple products.

This is the one I own.

The HEX-NET PRO has (1) option:
$599 - unlimited VIN numbers and vehicles
Has Wi-Fi and is compatible with tablets, Android and Apple products.

There are other options but I'm guessing nobody here is forking out that much cash.
I ended up getting one of these more budget friendly tools from Amazon and gave it a shot.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WDJL8JN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It was able to tell me that the right front ABS sensor is faulty, at least. But I had replaced all ABS sensors earlier this year.
I'll crack it back open and see if it's excessively dirty or something. Look for ways to test the cables, too.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I ended up getting one of these more budget friendly tools from Amazon and gave it a shot.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WDJL8JN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It was able to tell me that the right front ABS sensor is faulty, at least. But I had replaced all ABS sensors earlier this year.
I'll crack it back open and see if it's excessively dirty or something. Look for ways to test the cables, too.
Yeah - I got the Ancel VD700 that doesn’t seem to be too bad

Reactions: Kilroy2032

·
Registered
485 Posts
Damned dashboard cracked on me today. Jacking up the pass. side to check suspension must have been too much stress on the old girl!
Automotive design Tints and shades Font Gas Electric blue
Rectangle Tints and shades Automotive design Font Automotive exterior

I guess now I get to find out how much of a pita it will be to remove. Bad timing - it's finally getting cold out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Damned dashboard cracked on me today. Jacking up the pass. side to check suspension must have been too much stress on the old girl! View attachment 104929 View attachment 104930
I guess now I get to find out how much of a pita it will be to remove. Bad timing - it's finally getting cold out.
Same crack on one of our Passats. It just happened one day, no apparent reason.

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
That's a bummer.
I did my wife's car a couple of years ago, swapped out the heater core. Pulled it out on a Saturday put it back in on Sunday. Had to have it done as it was her only car at the time. You just have to work methodically. Depending on which route you go (there's the express removal process and the other way by picking off all the parts one by one).
I did the express way. I also have all the pictures needed for an instructional to pull the dash.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I pulled the dash the 'what is this piece' by 'what is that piece' method with additional 'why did they break that thing?? now I gotta fix/replace that too' steps along the way

·
Registered
485 Posts
Same crack on one of our Passats. It just happened one day, no apparent reason.
That's a bummer.
I did my wife's car a couple of years ago, swapped out the heater core. Pulled it out on a Saturday put it back in on Sunday. Had to have it done as it was her only car at the time. You just have to work methodically. Depending on which route you go (there's the express removal process and the other way by picking off all the parts one by one).
I did the express way. I also have all the pictures needed for an instructional to pull the dash.
After taking another look at that dashboard removal process, I think I'll try to use some plastic epoxy with a piece of metal behind the crack to fix it.

....pulled the glove box to find that, when the heater core was replaced by the PO, most of the mounting tabs were broken off. Plus I found a broken off heater flap actuator arm, and the light fixture is missing. Damned service dept. charged her $1640 back in 2013 to break all this stuff!

·
Registered
28,619 Posts
After 7 years, I finally got rid of the donor car! My wife is thrilled, even better that no rodents were found during removal. Same person who bought my wagon and my son's wagon in January. Now you can see all of the parts stacked on the shelves.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
What's that BC Racing box all about? All wrapped up never been opened.

Is that the car we swiped the rear twist beam from?

10721 - 10735 of 10735 Posts