Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
10701 - 10720 of 10735 Posts

·
Registered
1997 VW Passat B5 1.8 20V 4speed auto
2 Posts
new to passat world, have an 1.8 20V 4 speed auto, and it became my toy, so I've spotted one unplugged hose today, coming from the end of air intake going in throttle body, and the hose would be a enigma for now, as i have no clue how to find it...but i think i will just find something similar and see how it goes...

and changed to winter tyres :D
PS: got to learn that is the PCV valve that's missing. Waiting for parts later today and get on with it.
Have no idea where to post, so I'm not sure if I should start a topic. Please correct me or send me to the right place. As I'm gonna guess it's been talked about.

All the best people. Love you're car and she/he will love back 😁😍

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Replaced the front rotors and pads on my soon-to-be-daughter's wagon. It has 88k miles and I think the rotors and pads were the original ones. One side was down to metal but the wire sensor had been cut and shorted somewhere before 😕 so no warning light until the unmistakable noise of full-metal pads popped up.

When I went to pull the backs I realized I did those not so long ago. So now I have an extra set of rotors and pads that I will probably never use. Oh well, too many Passat's in the household I guess.

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
Drove on a flat tire today. (n)
On the way home from work about 2 miles away from the homestead, I hit piece of flying debris with the left front tire. I knew right away it wasn't good.
I sure in hell wasn't going to ditch into the right lane, especially here in Phoenix with all these nut jobs driving around.
I took the chance and drove it the rest of the way, slooowly. Made it home without doing any damage to the wheel. So I guess there's that.
Not a good time for me to be buying new tires. All 4 tires are pretty much end of life so it's going to be a new set all around.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Drove on a flat tire today. (n)
On the way home from work about 2 miles away from the homestead, I hit piece of flying debris with the left front tire. I knew right away it wasn't good.
I sure in hell wasn't going to ditch into the right lane, especially here in Phoenix with all these nut jobs driving around.
I took the chance and drove it the rest of the way, slooowly. Made it home without doing any damage to the wheel. So I guess there's that.
Not a good time for me to be buying new tires. All 4 tires are pretty much end of life so it's going to be a new set all around.
What will you be going with for tires?

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
What will you be going with for tires?
Hmm-boy that's a tough one.
By the way, this is the W8 I most recently picked up from @Randy5 (in Texas) were talking about here.

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's (P225/45R17) are on the car right now. First time I've ever driven those. Gotta admit they are some sweet tires, stick to the road like Velcro.
As I've progressed in my years I don't skimp on tires anymore. Performance / safety are of pretty high importance.
But with that being said, the PS2's are at least $200 a throw, plus all of the hidden cost crap the stick you with, I'm looking at least $1k out the door for a complete set. I normally wouldn't have a problem spending that much for the level of performance they provide, but, those tires only have a 20k mile warranty. Those tires will get chewed up in no time down here.
The majority of the roads down here are extremely coarse (for the wet weather monsoons).

I'm kind of at a crossroads here. I really want to install a set of PSS9's and swap out the original 17 inch wheels for a set of some P235 / P245 Audi wheels.
The combination of the PSS9's, wider tires I could get a slightly harder compound but still have a UHP rated tire with stratospheric performance.

Long story short, the car will more than likely sit for a short while. I'm currently in the middle of some pretty big project's and I just plain don't have the time nor the cash for this right now.
Guess that'll give me some more time to ponder my next big move with that car.

Reactions: twowagens

·
Registered
29 Posts
Bled the coolant system on my 2003 V6 ATQ. Heater wasn't generating enough. It's better now.
Something snagged one of the side splashes and ripped it out. Put the shield back in proper position and secured. Waiting on new side splash. That's this weekend.
Need to do the brakes this season.

·
Registered
28,619 Posts
Buried the donor with tropical plants due to a freeze warning tonight. I don't think it will get below 35 here, but taking no chances. One night inside, then another 7-10 days outside until another warning. Donor should be going away on Sunday!
Plant Motor vehicle Houseplant Flowerpot Building

·
Registered
2001 Passat GLX 4Motion V6
135 Posts
Ah, good to know. Would like to support the smaller operations and one person shops but afraid I don't have the time with snowy roads just around the corner.
I got the refurbished ABS module back today and put it back in.
They got it Friday morning and shipped it back to me on Tuesday. Not a bad turn around.
The Brake light and beeping that goes with it are gone but the ABS light remains.
Tried resetting the light by disconnecting the positive battery cable and pressing on the brake. Wasn't sure how long to do that.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
Something tells me I had to clear the codes with VCDS when I replaced my wife's ABS module. I looked up my history on that repair, but of course I didn't record anything about that repair except cost, date and where I got the ABS module repaired.

Reactions: Kilroy2032

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
As to the previous posts regarding car garages.......as a car (PASSAT) enthusist and and eclectic collector I offer this postulate,theory, on garages. No matter how big, or in depth the planning, when completed your beloved garage/ workshop will be a minimum of at least one car too small, and this excludes any parts cars that would not be garaged in the first place. And as an addendum to this, most noteworthy to the many of us who do not live in WARM climates.....no matter how big the garage you always end up with you DD parked on the outside looking in.....

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I think it varies. There are old cables that have the 'key' built into the cable and have unlimited use. I think there are also cables that have the key built into the cable that only work on some number of VINs (eg 3 different VINs). If you have this type of cable the software can be downloaded for free since the key is in the cable.

Or you can buy a generic cable and use a free limited version of the software (VCDS lite) or pay for the full version. I'm not sure how many VINs the paid version will support.

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
Hmm, a bit pricey new. Seeing several used on eBay, but as I understand it, the cable itself is like a key to unlock the software, but if it's used, does that mean I'd have to buy the software, too?
The software can downloaded for free. The way I see it, they are now charging $99 for the LITE version to be activated.
I can't say exactly how this works as I don't use it.

The HEX-V2 has (2) options:
$199 for 3 VIN numbers (only allows use on up to 3 vehicles)
$299 for 10 VIN numbers (only allows use on up to 10 vehicles)
Works on all VAG vehicles from 1995 up to current production.
The part that plugs into the OBDII port acts as the dongle to limit or allow the features in the software.

The HEX-NET has (1) option:
$449 for 10 VIN numbers (only allows use on up to 10 vehicles)
The part that plugs into the OBDII port acts as the dongle to limit or allow the features in the software.
Has Wi-Fi and is compatible with tablets, Android and Apple products.

This is the one I own.

The HEX-NET PRO has (1) option:
$599 - unlimited VIN numbers and vehicles
Has Wi-Fi and is compatible with tablets, Android and Apple products.

There are other options but I'm guessing nobody here is forking out that much cash.

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
If you've only got a single VAG vehicle and don't plan on hoarding these in the future (ahem) the cheaper options are a good way to go.

I've currently got 5 Passat's and I was doing a lot of scanning for other people for free (back when the VAG locator was a thing)
So for me the unlimited VIN option was the only way to go.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Hmm, a bit pricey new. Seeing several used on eBay, but as I understand it, the cable itself is like a key to unlock the software, but if it's used, does that mean I'd have to buy the software, too?
Just get a cable "dongle" and download free shareware, Ross-Tech Lite, try it , you can do a lot but once accustomed to it, just upgrade, yes $200 bucks but it covers 3 cars and can do just about anything you need in the future.

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
Spent the last 2 hours spiffing up the Pacific Blue W8. That's just the door jamb areas. I thought about giving all the black trim a good dressing of Meguiar's , maybe later my fingers are all cramped up and the sun is getting to warm for me. I need my air conditioned shop. 😢

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Vehicle Car Steering part Car seat cover Steering wheel

Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Fender Vehicle door

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Seat belt Motor vehicle

·
Registered
28,619 Posts
As to the previous posts regarding car garages.......as a car (PASSAT) enthusist and and eclectic collector I offer this postulate,theory, on garages. No matter how big, or in depth the planning, when completed your beloved garage/ workshop will be a minimum of at least one car too small, and this excludes any parts cars that would not be garaged in the first place. And as an addendum to this, most noteworthy to the many of us who do not live in WARM climates.....no matter how big the garage you always end up with you DD parked on the outside looking in.....
Even in our warm climate, it's best to keep the car out of the sun (and the wife happy).

·
Registered
997 Posts
Thanks to @Tortelious, I got a pretty good looking drivers rear dust shield…
Bumper Gas Wood Rim Composite material

I just had to bend it back into shape and touch the sandpaper to it for a bit of a clean up
Product Automotive tire Font Gas Composite material

Once I took a good look at the driver’s rear, I wasn’t sure if it needed replacing…

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Locking hubs

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Newspaper Gas

I actually had to use a masonry hammer and prybar to get the calliper off, once unbolted…

Hand Automotive tire Wood Finger Nail

getting the e-brake cable off was easier than I thought - it’s just a slide snap-on clip where you pry off by sliding it out with the sharp edge of a big screw driver against the ends of the ‘horseshoe’ part of it.

and here’s your refinished dust shield, @Tortelious: high heat rust inhibiting engine paint

Saw Automotive tire Vehicle brake Abrasive saw Metalworking

and as others suggested - the new caliper with new rotor and pads

Wheel Vehicle brake Automotive tire Locking hubs Motor vehicle

Now on to the A/C job…

Sorry if there are too many photos : a bit much?

10701 - 10720 of 10735 Posts