10561 - 10580 of 10619 Posts

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,480 Posts
Reactions: benzivr6

·
Registered
98 Posts
Flushed my heater core and radiator. I have heat again!
Look at all the crud that's settled on the bottom from the heater core alone.
Big globs came out at first. Wanted to get a pic but they disintegrated.
Liquid Food Bottle Solution Fluid

·
Registered
468 Posts
Flushed my heater core and radiator. I have heat again!
Look at all the crud that's settled on the bottom from the heater core alone.
Big globs came out at first. Wanted to get a pic but they disintegrated.
View attachment 104593
That is a LOT of sediment!
How long has it been since you last flushed it?

I switched over to Peak LongLife and will be curious as to how much I have if/when I need to flush mine again.

·
Registered
98 Posts
That is a LOT of sediment!
How long has it been since you last flushed it?

I switched over to Peak LongLife and will be curious as to how much I have if/when I need to flush mine again.
This is the first time I've ever flushed a heater core on any car. Not sure about this Passat, though. Maybe never? The previous owner didn't have it very long before I came upon it.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
OK, I gotta ask - what's the purpose of the tin foil ?
Those lines are the replacement ones. The original lines began to leak because they had been exposed to elements up in north.
I wrapped them in tin foil in case it snows in South Georgia/North Florida. LoL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
951 Posts
coming soon: Season 3 of What Did Rob do to his Passat today?

In upcoming episodes, Rob needs to make sure he can haul a trailer on a 3000 Km round trip (before the snow comes) of picking up old tools his dad no longer needs… like an almost new, only used 3 times, gas powered 25 ton log splitter…

So to do so, he asks the brain factory at Passatworld to prioritize a list of to-do items:

• A/C compressor 4B0 260 805 B & Receiver drier 3B0 820 193
  • Power steering pump & Power Steering Lines (still need two)
  • The last heater flap motor as it also now failed (guessing as I dont get any heat now)
  • Two last Rad hoses (main rad upper and lower)
  • Wheel Bearings (weird squeak from passenger rear!) (???)
  • Front shocks
  • Rear brakes
  • Hand brake
So there’s the agenda… not sure which to attack first - I think rear brakes or rear wheel bearing?. But the mornings are cooler so I need defrost and this heat coming out… I can’t imagine flushing the heater core would eliminate the right direction there. But that last flap motor is 17 years old.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
like an almost new, only used 3 times, gas powered 25 ton log splitter…
Not car related but...
a log splitter? I've got a 34 ton myself. It was necessity back when I was in WI.
Need to harvest a lot of firewood when wood is your only source for household heat.

Reactions: Rob.Achmann

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Two comments:
1. Rough livin’ in Iowa, huh? Did you have running water?
2. In Proud Mary, is the line “pumped a lot of ‘pane” as in propane, or “pumped a lot of ‘tane” down in New O-leens.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts

In upcoming episodes, Rob needs to make sure he can haul a trailer on a 3000 Km round trip (before the snow comes) of picking up old tools his dad no longer needs… like an almost new, only used 3 times, gas powered 25 ton log splitter…

So to do so, he asks the brain factory at Passatworld to prioritize a list of to-do items:

• The last heater flap motor as it also now failed (guessing as I dont get any heat now)
  • Front shocks
  • Rear brakes
  • Hand brake
So there’s the agenda… not sure which to attack first - I think rear brakes or rear wheel bearing?. But the mornings are cooler so I need defrost and this heat coming out… I can’t imagine flushing the heater core would eliminate the right direction there. But that last flap motor is 17 years old.
Maybe an external tranny cooler?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
We were in Colorado by this point. As for running water.....when we bought the house there was nothing. I 'hot-wired' the well pump and was glad to see a wet spot in the dirt under the house since it meant the well was functional. Just had to dig it up and connect it to the house plumbing.

The house was abandoned by the previous owners and we bought it at a HUD auction, if you remember those. We were the only bidders (duh). It took us 6 months to make it livable before we moved in. Oh to be young and full of energy again. Of course, if I knew then what I know now....

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,480 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Do you have the original sport shocks on there are are they replacements? I know Audi OEM sport shocks were red. Not sure about Passat.
PO replaced a broken coil spring at some point, but that's all I know about previous suspension work.

She just rolled over 220k and they're pretty tight still, so probably not. I don't honestly remember if they're all red now that you mention it, I'll have to take a peek.

·
Registered
28,510 Posts

• Front shocks
  • Rear brakes
  • Hand brake
Here's what I would do before towing (assuming the car is currently driveable):

Rear brakes
Hand brake
Wheel Bearings
Front shocks.
Everything else can be done afterward.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,480 Posts
If towing, it’s a good time for a little brake upgrade. TT front caliper carriers and D2 A8 rotors.

Reactions: Rob.Achmann
10561 - 10580 of 10619 Posts